News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

Quote from: Griffin NoName on February 24, 2012, 09:26:16 PM
Quote from: Swatopluk on February 22, 2012, 08:03:04 PM
Nearly finished with Empire of Food

Is that in the same series as Empire Strikes Back?
No, I think in that one the Empire Strikes the Back, the Front, the Sides...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

The Hilarious Confessions of 25 Wankers, which is free on Amazon.  It purports to be genuine true confessions from a sex clinic, which I strongly doubt.  Quite funny.

Swatopluk

Still reading Crimea (Orlando Figes)

Opsa

When You Are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris.

Aphos

Just finished reading Terry Pratchett's Bromeliad Trilogy.  Cute.  Get ready to start Dean Koontz's latest book.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Swatopluk

Just finished Am 8.Tag schuf Gott den Rechtsanwalt (On the 8th day God created the lawyer)

Sibling DavidH

Nee - die hat der Teufel geschaffen.

I bought a book off Amazon - yes, I actually paid for it.  It's called Worm, about the Conficker malware and early attempts to neutralise it.  Quite interesting, but possibly not worth the 97 pence I paid for it.

EDIT:  I've just acquired no's 2 and 3 of The Hunger Games series, free off TUEBL.  I thought the first book was not bad, though nothing great.  I believe it was written for older children, like His Dark Materials.

Griffin NoName

Counselling the Culturally Diverse: Theory and Pratcice Sue & Sue

Lots of interesting stuff like exorcizing evil spirits.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on March 18, 2012, 09:51:11 AM
EDIT:  I've just acquired no's 2 and 3 of The Hunger Games series, free off TUEBL.  I thought the first book was not bad, though nothing great.  I believe it was written for older children, like His Dark Materials.

I've been thinking about this...  There are lots of children that started reading because of Harry Potter that are now older and perfectly primed for fantasy sagas.  I'm sure that the success of Twilight has been influenced at least a little by this, and the mainstreaming of other sagas is maybe a good sign for books.  Dad's currently reading The Hunger Games, and I've a mind to get his started on His Dark Materials after.

Ultimately, I'd like to coax one of my parental units into attempting The Wheel of Time, but it might be a little intimidating.  I tried to get Mom into Discworld, but the cosmology of the disc got her muddled right from the start (I think she missed the joke). ::)  If I get Dad eased into fantasy, he's perhaps a more likely candidate, because he tends to stick with a book and read persistently once he's started. He might like Tim Powers, too... I should sling him Declare as an intro.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Turtledove may also be a good choice
---
A book on Nelson's naval victories bought yesterday

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Speaking of, restarting Catching Fire from the Hunger Games series.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Last night I got the Kindle version of Hitch 22, Peter Hitchens' autobiography, off Amazon for 99 pence.  First time I've noticed it there.  This morning it's £4.11.  What's going on there?  I'll read it next and comment.

Roland Deschain

After re-watching Fahrenheit 911 and Sicko recently, I thought i'd dust off Stupid White Men again, and because it would make a nice change from Carl Sagan's Contact that i'd just finished reading. Very funny book with so many good points to make. We need more people like Michael Moore.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers