News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindorm

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 25, 2010, 09:07:38 AM
I guess it is in Swedish? Otherwise I would be very interested in a copy. I might be able to deal with Norwegian but likely not with Swedish. And I cannot expect my father to do a full translation.

I've been digging around a bit on the net, and it seems I've misremembered things a bit. The railway accident investigation report focusses, not surprisingly, on the railway aspects, but does mention the salvage work quite a bit, albeit not with a lot of technical details. The report is in Swedish only, but I can summarize the important bits for you if you like.

The then Räddningsverket (Sort of State Rescue Services Authority) did issue a report into the accident and the salvage work, which I have read, and I do remember there being an english summary in the report. However, I can't find it at the moment.  :(  That report did go into the rescue work in some detail.

Räddningsverket have now been replaced by MSB, "The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency". They still maintain the archives from Räddningsverket, and they do pubilsh old Räddningsverket reports. Their contact e-mail is registrator@msb.se

Several experts from various Swedish chemical industries were also involved in the rescue and salvage operations, including staff from the manufacturer of the chlorine, EKA Chemicals, a division of Akzo Nobel. I do believe that they also published some reports on the salvage works, especially for knowledge distribution within the industry. Their published contact e-mail is ekainfo@akzonobel.com

Oh, and the accident you are wanting information on is the derailment at Ledsgård on the 28th february 2005. The accident investigation board report is available here:

http://www.havkom.se/virtupload/reports/45772136_rj2007_02.pdf

Hope this could be of some assistance!

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

Thank you, I'll take a (deeper) look at it. Maybe I can find something the EIPPC Bureau would be interested in. They should have translators since Sweden is in the EU. They then could also deal with the red tape. For some reason even publicly available info cannot necessarily be used for BREF documents unless the 'owner' officially gives permit to do so.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

For lighter reading, I've checked back in with Cleolinda Jones & Movies in 15 Minutes.  (That's the wiki link with an overview of her parodies).

She always males me smile.

A lot.   :D

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Trying to decipher a returned questionnaire

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Jon Stewart's America as a preamble to his new Earth book. Funny stuff.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Aggie

The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics, but specifically Mere Christianity at the moment, on recommendation of a friend.  Screwtape's in here too, which I might read because I got a kick out of it some years ago. 

For someone who is almost comically clueless on Eastern religion, he sure does a good job of presenting a version of Christianity that has much in common with it.  I don't disagree with most of it, except the bits about Jesus.  ;)  He also gives the Devil waaaaay too much credit, which seems to be a bad Christian habit (not sure if any other religions are anywhere near as prone to it, except possibly Islam?).
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Dualist religions come to mind where the devil is not just a disgruntled employee who left and opened up his own shop but is co-equal to God.
The best known is probably Zoroastrism (among youngsters it is probably the belief system of the Jedi Knights ;))
Gnosis is a special case where our world is actually the creation of the devil itself (who in some schools is identified with the god of the Old Testament).

Aggie

Reading the Qu'ran, eating pork sausage and drinking rum.  :irony:
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Vom Töten zum Mord - Das wirkliche Böse in der Evolutionsgeschichte
(from kill(ing) to murder - the real/true evil in evolutionary history)

No, it's not an anti-evolutionst treatise but one about how 'moral' (and especially moral double standards) could develop given the known 'rules' of evolution and how this can applied to the act of killing.

Opsa

Improvisation for the Theater, third edition, by Viola Spolin. Studying up for next summer's workshops.

Aggie

That Hideous Strength - ol' Clive Staples again.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Quote from: Aggie on December 27, 2010, 04:51:56 AM
That Hideous Strength - ol' Clive Staples again.

One of his weakest I think. So much rests on the axiom that Evil must be irrational and chaotic or most of the behaviour of the bad guys makes no sense at all.

Aggie

It's at least more entertaining than Perelandra, which I found quite dull and preachy.
WWDDD?