News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Better choose the Summa Technologiae by St.Lem, if you want an Aquinas connection ;)
Good and very prescient book but not that easy to read.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

stellinacadente

Finishing the Lord of the Rings - the return of the King...

starting the Hobbit really soon!
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Swatopluk

The manual for the Sid Meier's Colonization (new edition). Since the old DOS based edition does not run on modern systems anymore and I spotted the new by chance on the bargain table, I spontaneously bought it. Will take a while to get used to the far more intricate graphics etc.

Opsa

Just finished Heidi today after getting it in the mail from Amazon for a penny, with $3.99 shipping and handling charge.  ::) I'm going to turn it inot a script for my drama group. It's a lot more religious than I remembered, but a good read all the same. I'll figure out something to do with it.

Swatopluk

I somehow get the impression that Swiss Alpine literature has a general tendency in that direction.

Opsa

You may be right about that. Luckily, all references are to "God" by no other specific name, so I can keep it relatively non-denominational. Either that or turn it into Atheist Heidi;)

Swatopluk

Bought I shall wear Midnight two hours ago (yesterday there was no opportunity).

Pachyderm

I liked it. But I like all his books...

Currently halfway into Monstrous Regiment.
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Swatopluk

Reading several books parallel thus slowing the general speed.
Millenium
I shall wear midnight
Past Imperfect ('History' in Hollywood movies)

Pachyderm

With The Old Breed, by EB Sledge.

Swatopluk

I should look for some studies on the safe storage of chlorine and about the consequences of failure. How fast does liquid chlorine boil? Is storage below ground safer because chlorine is groundhugging and may stay in the pit for a while giving valuable time for evacuation? Does it make a practical difference whether it's a dry or wet day when the leak occurs? (Wet and dry chlorine react quite differently. Stuff resistant to either one usually isn't to the other). etc.

Pachyderm

Belgarath the Sorceror, by David Eddings

Swatopluk

I finished I shall wear midnight. Where's the next Pratchett book? I am waiting!

Lindorm

Quote from: Swatopluk on September 17, 2010, 08:12:03 AM
I should look for some studies on the safe storage of chlorine and about the consequences of failure. How fast does liquid chlorine boil? Is storage below ground safer because chlorine is groundhugging and may stay in the pit for a while giving valuable time for evacuation? Does it make a practical difference whether it's a dry or wet day when the leak occurs? (Wet and dry chlorine react quite differently. Stuff resistant to either one usually isn't to the other). etc.

A few years ago, my employer had a little faux pas with a chlorine-loaded train that derailed at Ledsgård, outside Göteborg. Fortunately, all the tanker wagons remained intact with the cisterns unbroken. However, salvage operations were quite difficult and the tanker wagons had to be emptied in the field before salvage works could start. The accident investigation report made for some very interesting reading, including a discussion on the methods used for the salvage operations and the behaviour of chlorine gas in large quantities.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

I guess it is in Swedish? Otherwise I would be very interested in a copy. I might be able to deal with Norwegian but likely not with Swedish. And I cannot expect my father to do a full translation.