News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

Confidential (don't know why actually) internal documents
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Lindorm

I have recently finished reading Kraken, China Mieville's latest novel.

A very good read, I must say. A strange and weird tale of conspiracy, cephalopods, the end of the world, cults, magic and trade unionism. Some might find this one a bit more straight-forward and accessible compared to his next-to-last book, The City and the City. Hopefully, I'll be able to write a more review-like post in the next few days or so, but meanwhile, if you like weird fiction and/or the Unknown Armies RPG, this one is absolutely for you.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

The BASF report on sustainable development 2009

pieces o nine

I have just picked up a copy of Stephen Colbert's I am America and So Can You. 
I hope it is everything I dreamed it would be...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Lots and lots of wikipedia articles for an alternate history story I'm constructing. Note to self: post-Bismark European history is boring until things get too exciting with Hitler.

Also working my way through Lang's color fairy tale series. Currently reading Green.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

The writing on the wall that in 1 year, 2 weeks, and 2 days I'll with near certainty be unemployed again.
---
More on sustainable chemistry

Sibling DavidH

OMFSM, Swato - why?  What's going on?

Pachyderm

Isn't that when the Old Ones arrive? Or the sheer volume of Big Brother Season Why Is This Shite Still Being Made on the TV reaches critical mass?

Planning and Natural Resources Division

A Northern Ireland Marine Bill Policy Proposals

Consultation Document

And yes, it's as exciting as it sounds...
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on June 15, 2010, 04:25:09 PM
OMFSM, Swato - why?  What's going on?

Fixed-term contract meets severe budget cuts. Federal public service has to shed 10-15000 employees, so extension is extremly unlikely. And since I am not the only one any opening in another department (unlikley in itself) will have lots of applicants most of which will possess far longer experience.

---

searching university curricula for sustainable chemistry

Lindorm

Quote from: Swatopluk on June 14, 2010, 08:43:42 AM
The BASF report on sustainable development 2009

Isn't that a bit like "military intelligence"?

Sorry to hear about the developments at your place of work. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! Maybe an eccentric millionaire wants someone to write a complete choral suite with a cthulufication of Wagner's Fliegende Holländer? Or perhaps that one is cthulhoid enough already?

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Lorst

God - The failed hypothesis

by Victor J.Stenger

Aggie

The Case For God  -  Karen Armstrong  (still, have been picking away at it).

Also just finished The Way of a Gardener by Des Kennedy.
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

The Case For God - now I would love to get my hands on that.

The Battle (Waterloo)
by Alessandro Barbero
I recommend it.  It makes sense out of a lot of the silly questions thrown up by many other accounts of the battle.

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on June 19, 2010, 07:41:50 PM
The Case For God - now I would love to get my hands on that.

I strongly recommend you do - in many ways, it does not so much live up to the title as to explore the history and pre-history of humanity's concepts of God and to examine what the Abrahamic faiths in particular got wrong about it all.  Touches a bit on fundamentalisms (including modern fundamentalist Atheism) as well.  Reads equally well for a theist or an atheist, and would not tilt an agnostic one way or the other, I think.

If I win the big Canadian lotto next week, I will send a copy of this book to every Toadfish who wants one (and maybe a few who don't ;)).   It has me quite captured, obviously. ::)
WWDDD?