News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

what if we turn off the background noise?

Started by stellinacadente, December 03, 2008, 07:03:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stellinacadente

Lately, I have found myself more and more interested in inner discovery and I wanted to try to walk the path of meditation...

while experimenting, an astonishing fact kept recurring disturbing my routine...

The world interference...

and it's not just about the loud neightbours or the phone ringing or my daughter watching cartoons ( on the PC, we do not own a TV anymore , proudly :) )...

it's just I find myself trying to focus when I finally get some quiet time at night... and I have to put a serious extra effort into it because too many distraction are crowding my head...

Internet, bills, work issues...

I find entertainment to be my biggest obstacle to the path of imporving my meditation skills... since after a day at work and an eving running after an hyper 4 yrs old by myself... I just want to be numb I guess and don't engage my brain cells if not absolutely necessary...

But the rest of the day is so loud and busy...

Is there a time of the day when the world is quiter? Or do we just have to try to turn off all the background noise?
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

DaveL

Steli,

Sounds like you would benefit greatly with some of those guided mediation CDs. I use them to get me through anxious moments like you have described, and normally do it for 30 minutes before bed.

Find yourself a nice dark space and work through guided meditations. Particularly the ones that relax you, help you to breathe, and involve positive visualisations.

Meditation 1-2 times per week really works. I'm much happier for several days after. Stress and anxiety are cumulative, so you need to keep doing it to get the full benefit.

I've got some great (local) ones if you need any recomendations, which arn't too sappy or new age.

Busily tracking Santa on NORAD...

This year your toast ye chubby, slegh driving, white bearded, coca cola advertisement!!

Bluenose

I find that some quiet time in the bush is a great healer and remover of the background.  Just find some nice place on a river bank and just sit and be.  It works for me anyway.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

I try to find some time each day to at least stop and acknowledge that there is a world around me of which I am a part.

When I have time, I will address east, south, west, north, earth and sky, thank and think about each, then quiet my mind enough to let whatever enlightenment that might be there soak in. This can easily take an hour.

When I do not have time, I just try to find a moment to figure out the directions and let myself settle into center and find my balance and just still my thoughts for an instant. This helps a lot.

If I wake up in the night and am bombarded by my own thoughts I do this and it helps me to relax. Somehow knowing where everything else is helps me from feeling too lost.

Pachyderm

I would have to agree with Bluenose. The great thing about my job is that sometimes I get paid to do just that. It doesn't really seem like work. This is, however, effectively counterpointed by standing freezing on building sites in the middle of winter.

Still, it beats sitting in the office. 8)
Imus ad magum Ozi videndum, magum Ozi mirum mirissimum....

Opsa

Oh definitely, outside in a natural setting is the preferred place. But one can make do in a pinch.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In time you'll learn to filter the rest of the world out, but in the meantime my siblings' suggestion of a natural environment is a very good idea. If there is a park or any other area where you can be (perhaps not now in the winter though) it may help. Here the weather isn't a problem and there is a place that fits the bill perfectly, it used to be a japanese plantation and now it's a beautiful zen inspired garden.

For now (winter), focus on your breathing and eventually you'll filter out the rest.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I find that if I just let it all whiz past me for a bit, not focusing on any one thought but acknowledging the ones that come to the fore, my mind calms down and I can relax properly.
If you can't escape someplace away from people, just go play in the dirt in your yard, however much you may have of one. That works for me almost as well as going to the mountains.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

stellinacadente

Thank you all for all your suggestions... it sounds to me like you have much more experience in meditation then me...

usually, my meditation place is the beach... it's where the world can pass me by and I wouldn't notice...

unfortunately I live in Nashville, TN and the beach is not an option :(

I will try to follow your suggestions, Bluenose...

Thanks!
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

The Meromorph

I was one of the founding members of the Louisville Surf Club. Our club motto was "waiting for a wave..."

Perhaps I should start a Nashville Surf Club? :P
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Sounds like you are experiencing what is called the "Shopping List" effect during meditation.

Received wisdom is that this doesn't matter. It is a natural effect and normal and common. It is just one aspect of meditation.

The trick is simply, when you notice it, bring your attention back to the breath, or the mantra.

Even if you have to do this a thousand times, you are still meditating, and will receive the benefit.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Stelli, have you tried yoga?  It still takes LOTS of practice to shut the mind off, but I find that the physical element helps for me. 

I have a really hard time shutting off the constant stream of thoughts, no matter what I'm doing, unless it's totally physically engaging (skiing powder comes to mind).  Fishing comes close, sometimes.

PS - congrats on kicking the TV.  We still keep one around for DVDs, but haven't had cable in years.  Video advertising makes me crazy.
WWDDD?

Opsa

Yoga's good. You can also use other signals to yourself to calm down, like smudging, incence or a candle. (Be careful about the hot stuff with little folk about.)

When my child was very small I used to put my feet in her little sandbox and pretend I was at the beach. It did help a little.

stellinacadente

Quote from: Agujjim on December 04, 2008, 02:24:53 PM

PS - congrats on kicking the TV.  We still keep one around for DVDs, but haven't had cable in years.  Video advertising makes me crazy.

I watch DVDs on my pc... no evil TV in my house...my daughter's well being was my motivation behind it... and what's there to watch anyway?

LOL

I will try Yoga... I was considering it for the longest time...and now more then ever seems like I need to meditate :)

pieces o nine

Quote from: stellinacadente
I watch DVDs on my pc... no evil TV in my house...my daughter's well being was my motivation behind it... and what's there to watch anyway?

stelli: good for you!

...and yet...
I have extremely fond childhood memories of watching Dr. Who, Star Trek, NOVA, and assorted world arts-music-history programming.
No regrets about that time, nor about similar time now.  :smartass:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677