News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Phelps and the Westboro creeps...

Started by Sibling Chatty, November 08, 2008, 05:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluenose

Quote from: beagle on February 18, 2009, 09:41:57 PM
I worked somewhere once where I had three different business cards.  Which pocket I produced one from depended on whether I was supposed to be technical, managerial or executive on that day. I really needed Dr Who's psychic paper.

Oooh!  Oooh!  I want some of that too!
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Bruder Cuzzen

Hateful people like the WBC , Limbaaaah , Couter et al , leave me speechless .
They make me see Bill I'll Rile Ye  more favourably .

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Bruder Cuzzen on February 19, 2009, 02:29:42 AM
Hateful people like the WBC , Limbaaaah , Couter et al , leave me speechless .
They make me see Bill I'll Rile Ye  more favourably .

I just try to assiduously avoid False News as much as possible....
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

beagle

Quote from: Bluenose on February 19, 2009, 01:43:20 AM
Quote from: beagle on February 18, 2009, 09:41:57 PM
I worked somewhere once where I had three different business cards.  Which pocket I produced one from depended on whether I was supposed to be technical, managerial or executive on that day. I really needed Dr Who's psychic paper.

Oooh!  Oooh!  I want some of that too!

I'm not sure it works in the real world. To turn from a technical anorak to a pretend salesperson you need several showers, a haircut, a shave, a sharp suit, artificially whitened teeth, a false Rolex and industrial quantities of gold jewellery and after-shave. A bit of paper doesn't cut it.

The angels have the phone box

roystonoboogie

I'm not sure if this is good news or not.

The Westboro Baptists are not coming to Britain.

We banned them.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7898972.stm

I wanted to extend our hospitality to them, wait for them to break our laws and then bang them up good and proper. Now we've just given them ammunition, which fans the flames rather than allowing them to fizzle out of their own accord.

beagle

I'm not sure they'd fizzle anyway. They have a knack of doing more and more outrageous things until people are forced to react. Might have been amusing to lock them up under some ancient blasphemy law for slandering God or taking the Lord's name in vain or similar though.

roystonoboogie

Quote from: beagle on February 20, 2009, 05:59:34 PM
I'm not sure they'd fizzle anyway. They have a knack of doing more and more outrageous things until people are forced to react. Might have been amusing to lock them up under some ancient blasphemy law for slandering God or taking the Lord's name in vain or similar though.
I think they might actually have fizzled - we don't really do hellfire and brimstone, we're a nation of shopkeepers after all - but the laws in question are brand spanking new and are specifically aimed at racist, religious and homophobically motivated crimes.

We went through a similar thing a few weeks back with a controversial Dutch politician called Geert Wilders, who made an allegedly anti-Islamic film. He was taken off a plane at Heathrow and sent home, and became a cause celebre, when he should just have been allowed to disappear into obscurity with his crappy movie.

Aphos

At a recent Fred Phelps "God Hates Fags" protest, here is one counter-protester.

--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Swatopluk

Yeah! (Though I have some doubts that the Phelpses will understand it)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

Apparently only one Phelps supporter turned up at that Basingstoke play, and went home when heckled. On his way to Hell for not having enough religious zeal, along with these ducks I imagine.

Swatopluk

Birds seem to have Teh Gay very often these days
But what about that nazi polar bear on the same page?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01361/animals-of-the-wee_1361628g.jpg

beagle

I think that's one of a series. After "Never smile at a crocodile" this is "Never lie down in the snow to take a polar bear's picture unless you like being patted on the head".

Darlica

"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Swatopluk

Quote from: Darlica on March 12, 2009, 09:34:54 AM
Can't you see? He's doing Pilates!
You mean, he is going to crucify Christ? Phelps would not like that.