News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Atheists adverts?

Started by beagle, October 21, 2008, 07:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 23, 2008, 09:15:44 PM
Or perhaps "Regardless of the existence or not of God and how much he does or not love you, stop worrying and enjoy your life". ;)

Sorta like the message in this tune?

[youtube=425,350]yjnvSQuv-H4[/youtube]
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 23, 2008, 09:15:44 PM
Or perhaps "Regardless of the existence or not of God and how much he does or not love you, stop worrying and enjoy your life". ;)

IMHO all these versions are more proselytising than the proposed one. "Probably" does all that's needed for me.

IMHO the problem is the words "Stop worrying", if there is any problem ;)

A simple "Enjoy your life" would be less directive.

Then the whole would still address the issue that there is never any counter-view being voiced at large in public, other than by one "side" or the "other" who are at opposite extremes.

PS. the fun part is the donation names and comments - conversion by means of humour - and people pay for it !  ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 23, 2008, 08:23:46 PM
Good point, but that would make all adverts proslyletising. Which I suppose they are. Hmmmm.

Of the worst kind. I cannot abide video advertising and have long since killed my cable connection. BEST. DECISION. EVER.

I prefer "you are going to hell" over "you need this product" any day.  :P
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Talking of advertising, I made a severe mistake and left the TV on after finishing watching something which was supposed to make me fall asleep but didn't. Found I was engrossed in a lengthy "presentation" of some kind of fabulously expensive carpet cleaning system (vaccuum cleaner squirts foam) - next up a spare bed that folds itself up........ switched off before I found out the price. It wasn't a shopping channel but I assume this is the same thing. All the actors seemed to have been coached in how to make it appear they are fakng it. Found myself wondering if it was all supposed to be subliminally counter-intuitive - they can't be faking it so it must actually be true. Who (except fools like me) watches these at 3 am? 
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Black Bart

The shopping channels are a hoot sometimes though.  The effort they put into selling all that horrible fake jewelery is amazing.

If I survive the shopping channels I then have to resist the Kleeneze rep who pops round with his catalogue full of dodgy gizmos.  I bought a universal sink unblocker brush thingy which didn't even fit through the plug hole!
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Griffin NoName

So sad to hear you haven't got a universal sink.

You're spot on with the effort. It's quite bizarre. It also has a flavour of TV advertising in the late 50's early 60's. Bit like Pathe news. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Wurlitzer appear out of nowhere.

The Atheist Bus Campaign is now at £96,660 odd.

Joan Baker article here.

Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Agujjim on October 24, 2008, 05:51:58 AM
Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 23, 2008, 08:23:46 PM
Good point, but that would make all adverts proslyletising. Which I suppose they are. Hmmmm.

Of the worst kind. I cannot abide video advertising and have long since killed my cable connection. BEST. DECISION. EVER.

I prefer "you are going to hell" over "you need this product" any day.  :P

I, too deplore video ads.  It's why I own a digital video recorder.... and I rarely watch "live" TV-- I record it instead, and watch it later, so I may zip-forward through those ads.  Sure, I see bits and pieces of the video part, but the sound is mercifully silent...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

stellinacadente

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on October 22, 2008, 12:16:12 AM
Mmm... how would be a smear add against Cardinal Ratzinger? :devil2:

Do you mean Pope Nazinger?  :daz:
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

stellinacadente

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 21, 2008, 09:16:39 PM
Isn't bus riding hell enough as it is?

In London? Much worse then Hell!

:)
"Pressure... changes everything pressure. Some people you squeeze them, they focus... others fall..."

Al Pacino, The Devil's Advocate

Griffin NoName

Have I Got News For You:

[youtube=425,350]X3a0g4-gHfQ[/youtube]

And to show how open I am to reason, Christian group donates to atheist bus advertising campaign is an interesting read.
Psychic Hotline Host

Black Bart

I watched that on TV, brilliant...
"God moves in mysterious ways and so do bendy buses." 
Isn't Frank Skinner hilarious.  I fancy getting one of those stick on steering wheels for random acts of inappropriate steering.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Black Bart on October 28, 2008, 01:15:59 PM
"God moves in mysterious ways and so do bendy buses." 

Yes, that mysterious ways was inspired.

Isn't Frank Skinner hilarious.  I fancy getting one of those stick on steering wheels for random acts of inappropriate steering.

Instead you have one of those stick on hats for random acts of inappropriate leering  :o

Psychic Hotline Host

Black Bart

No look...I have come up with a brilliant idea...I should post it on their site.

What about alternative god stamps?

Get the post office to issue a set of stamps with eg

The Flying Spaghetti Monster
Richard Dawkins
John Cleese
One of those floaty cloud things from Star Trek
etc etc
plus the message 'there probably is no god so stop worrying and enjoy your life.'

Scriblerus the Philosophe

"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Black Bart on October 29, 2008, 01:22:58 PM
What about alternative god stamps?

Get the post office to issue a set of stamps with eg

I like it.

But..... do you have that much faith in the Post Office Royal Mail?     

You can post your idea on the site by giving £2 repeatedly until you have enough word space to complete it...... like the idiots who are using it as a discussion forum = most of whom I suspect are members of TOP.
Psychic Hotline Host