News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Atheists adverts?

Started by beagle, October 21, 2008, 07:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Probably not and it may be the distinction between the high road and the low road, but you can argue that it is perfectly valid and within the rights of those doing it to do so, besides when all the voices you hear loudly are claiming damnation, I find refreshing someone claiming that there may not be as such, that it isn't a settled argument, and that other people think differently.

I agree that there should be a better way to express those sentiments without blatant proselytism (perhaps an atheist equivalent of gay pride parades) but still those married with their dogma will find any expression of dissent offensive.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

beagle

Quote from: Opsanus tau on October 22, 2008, 04:41:06 PM
How is Atheistic proselytism any better than Fundie proselytism, especially if you believe that all proselytism sux?

Because they're saying there probably isn't a God, and they're not threatening anyone with eternal torment if they disagree?
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Strictly speaking the proposed advert is not Atheist. It's Agnostic. And I don't see how not knowing can be proselytising. And what Beagle said.

If you read the comments on the donation site there's a fair number of people objecting to the "probably", and a determination to keep it in the wording.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I like the various thoughts regarding thinking.

I see the chief problem among the world's populations (at least in the so-called "first world") is a severe lack of thinking, and a seemingly increased reliance on feelings.

*cue sappy musical score*
"Feeeeeelings.....Oh-woah-woah those feeeeeelings...!"

*noise of needle dragging forcably off the record--abrupt ceasing of music*

Feelings, at best, are a useful gauge to help us make decisions about issues where there is insufficient information to make a purely logical conclusion.  A sort of quick-and-dirty short-cut decision.

And, in this context, it can be quite useful, especially for wholly trivial decisions (as in, "what's for dinner" and "what color shall I wear today").

But, sadly, many folk have discarded thinking entirely in favor of feelings-based "decisions."

Moreover, this fuzzy non-think has so deeply contaminated our societies, that the phrase "you just have to have faith" is not considered a joke, but an actual example of wisdom!

To be sure:  faith, coupled with reason is a powerful combination, and I wouldn't suggest we ought to trash that even a little bit.  Even the most avid "non-believer" has faith in something, if nothing more than herself. 

But faith coupled with.....more faith?  That is a road that easily becomes corrupt. 

*cue erie musical interlude*

Hale-Bopp comet, anyone?  Be sure you have your approved tennis shoes on.  Poisoned drink mix is available in the kitchen.....

Lazy minds find it easier to use "feeling-based" decision-making, than think-based decision-making.

Thinking is hard work.  Ask anyone who makes a living by thinking (programmers, engineers, scientists, researchers, etc.  I'm certain I've left out many thinking-as-work professions).

Emoting is easy:  we do it unconsciously.

If only it were as easy as putting posters on a bus, to jump-start people's lazy brains back into thinking again....

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Here's a couple of comments from donors to cheer Beagle up:

"I didn't see the point in making a donation, until I saw a snotty Telegragh piece on it. Plaster 'em everywhere!!

"Thank you BHA, thank you Guardian"

Launch piece http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/oct/21/religion-advertising

Origins at http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jun/20/transport.religion

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 22, 2008, 11:09:16 PMFeelings, at best, are a useful gauge to help us make decisions about issues where there is insufficient information to make a purely logical conclusion.  A sort of quick-and-dirty short-cut decision.

And, in this context, it can be quite useful, especially for wholly trivial decisions (as in, "what's for dinner" and "what color shall I wear today").

Sir, I am compelled to defend such an accusation against the matter of What's For Dinner. ;)

no, actually not " ;) " - Food is the preeminent matter in our household (at least as important as Money, perhaps more as I will spend sums on Good Food that I will not spend on anything else consumable), and approached with utter seriousness on one hand and utter joy on the other. Finding safe, clean food has become a battle these days. :P

---------

On-topic....  the adverts as proposed are not horribly offensive.  In any case, God does not throw dice, so S/He should not be concerned about conforming to probability. ;)

I'd be even more interested if the Other Side started a parody campaign stating simply God Loves You.  Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Your Life.  In fact, that might be a more effective way for the atheist side to encourage reasonable discourse, free thought and de-fundamentalization.
WWDDD?

beagle

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 23, 2008, 12:56:16 AM
"I didn't see the point in making a donation, until I saw a snotty Telegragh piece on it. Plaster 'em everywhere!!

Didn't seem at all snotty to me. Unless it was a separate editorial opinion piece from the one I posted.  Guardian readers tend to assume the Establishment and Church are irreversibly connected in the Torygraph, but if they are it's subtle enough not to bother me; plenty of articles from all points of view.
The angels have the phone box

Black Bart

I am all for it, but here is one I found which seems to take the middle ground:

She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Don't mention that to the
:inquisition:
Spanish Inquisition!
:mrgreen: :devil2: :mrgreen: :devil2: :mrgreen: :devil2:

Griffin NoName

The Telegraph piece didn't seem snotty to me either. But I felt compelled to be eclectic and reflect all views :mrgreen:

The rate of donations is slowing. Will there be a second wave?

Aggie, looks like one those Holy Grills would be ideal for you ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Black Bart

The Telegraph? SNOTTY? What the devil are you talking about woman..and get out of the gentleman's club at once!
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Quote from: Black Bart on October 23, 2008, 04:08:09 PM
The Telegraph? SNOTTY? What the devil are you talking about woman..and get out of the gentleman's club at once!
:ROFL::
Nice. :mrgreen:

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 22, 2008, 09:46:45 PM
And I don't see how not knowing can be proselytising.
An angle I haven't considered. Still, it's not voluntarily seeking information, which I would say is proselytizing.

Quote from: Wikipedia article Proselytism
Proselytism is the practice of attempting to convert people to another opinion and, particularly, another religion.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Opsa

Good point, but that would make all adverts proslyletising. Which I suppose they are. Hmmmm.

I like "God Loves You.  Now Stop Worrying And Enjoy Your Life."

"Maybe there is no god, so stop worrying about it and enjoy your life."

Someone once said to me:" &%@# God if he can't take a joke", which I thought was extremely rude and quite funny. Any Creator/Creatress would have invented humor and would have some appreciation for it, I would think. Maybe we need to stop taking our beliefs so seriously. Especially if they're only beliefs.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Or perhaps "Regardless of the existence or not of God and how much he does or not love you, stop worrying and enjoy your life". ;)

Opsa

I think I like that one the best of all!  :-*