News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Chlorinated Sugar anyone?

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, August 23, 2008, 12:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Even tho this is humor, it IS real science.   Look a the organic chemistry steps below the cartoon, by clicking the link.

http://abstrusegoose.com/46

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Thanks for the link which is very informative.

Now I can make Splenda for myself and sell it to all my friends ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

I don't do chemicals of that kind.

No saccharin, no Splenda, no any-fake-sweetener, and I try to avoid HFCS as well.

I was raised on saccharin, and when I quit it, I stopped having headaches and muscle aches that I'd had all my life.
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I was an addict and I stopped. Now I don't know if my weight loss have something to do with it or the fact that I'm trying to behave sensibly and avoid those lovely cans of condensed milk...  ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

I would not trust anything I brewed myself, especially not, if stuff like methanol is involved.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Aggie

It's not the synthesis, it's the purification that you need trust in (and some spectrometric analysis). ;)

Not sure how much I trust my purification, but I definitely do not trust my synthesis.  I stick to aqueous and/or alcoholic extractions for most kitchen chemistry.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

For me purification is part of the "brewing". That's also a general trend these days, combination of synthesis and separation(=purification), e.g. reactive rectification.

Aggie

I fear that I am far out of fashion, and sorely undereducated on the actual processes employed, especially on industrial scales.

Might pick your brain later on separating out an alkaloid from a high-tannin matrix. ;)

WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Oh, your tea was brewing too long, am I right? ;)

Aggie

Right continent of origin and global scale of usage (and legal status, incidentally), wrong stimulant.

;) :devil2:
WWDDD?

Opsa

I am toadily guilty of using sugar subs, but chlorine? Ew.

That does it, I may as well just have regu-sugar and butter and eggs and all that good stuff. At least the chemicals in them were put there by nature.

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on August 25, 2008, 06:51:33 PM
That does it, I may as well just have regu-sugar and butter and eggs and all that good stuff. At least the chemicals in them were put there by nature.

If they are organic, anyways.  Otherwise.... :dontknow:

I am a huge proponent of going organic for butter, since it's an animal fat and will tend to concentrate all the crap that the cow has been fed.  Sugar's not so much of an issue, I'm not quite sure about eggs - we buy them organic most of the time to be safe, but the prices are obscene.
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

Heh...the very few eggs we use (since I'm allergic) are definitely organic, free range, etc. Maxine and her Mama, down the street, raise 'em for her son (bad allergies to enviro-toxins) and we get some of the excess production.

Also excess zuchinni and excess yellow squash this week!!

They're gonna hook me up with another good meat supplier, too---AND he does milk and butter, if you can afford it.

Max's Mom makes THE BEST almond butter. The heck with peanuts!! And almond butter cookies... She bought 25 pounds of organic almonds. Yum.

It's a more expensive way to eat, but worth every cent.
This sig area under construction.