News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Idiot Manager

Started by Scriblerus the Philosophe, April 06, 2008, 07:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

I've been reading this and thinking what, if anything, I can add to the good suggestions you've been given, considering that you have little real recourse in such a position.

The only thing I would add is that this (and your comments about the debate tourney) sound like ongoing lessons in Life U. You are going to find people who behave this way for the rest of your life, and far too often, they will be in control and screwing things up for people who want to get something done.

Accommodating a poor manager, even one who is "usually nice", provides absolutely no incentive for him to adapt his behaviour. Covering for slacker coworkers may keep your job in a team environment, but discourages them from pulling their own weight. It seems to me that this situation is an opportunity for you to explore ways to deal with this type of manager before you graduate. Sometimes compliance is the only option, especially when competition is fierce for the position and there is no one willing or able to provide sensible oversight to the problem manager. However, compliance will not be rewarded by anything other than increasing abuses, and an increase of fake shock and outrage when you do protest or stand up for yourself.

You are correct that all options involving standing up for yourself, or endruns / going over his head will brand you as a troublemaker, even if (especially if!) he is clearly in the wrong. Hell hath no fury like a manager called on the carpet for behaviour which requires the intervention of his  manager. You are also correct that there are some people who get away with things for no discernible reason. It is impossible for you to join this group once you have proven yourself capable of better work, and it goes against all common sense to start out that way in a competitive environment if you are not a natural slacker. Catch-22.

So, one option you are left with is accepting the situation for practical reasons, which will not improve it. Moreover, life will present you with another manager exhibiting the same behaviours, if not worse ones, and in a situation where you have even more on the line. Your other option is to stand up for yourself and risk the likely consequences. At that point, life will hand you either another, similar situation to prove you have learned that lesson, or to try another option.

It will probably feel Machiavellian, childish, even "mean" to you to refuse to cover for these people. In all likelihood, they (and the manager) will try out such labels on you, to see if you accept wearing them, and to guilt or manipulate you into being the 'bitch' all the time. Not good for you. It shows maturity and reason that you are keeping a clear head about what rules are being technically  broken, rather than the generic whining you may be hearing from coworkers. But don't let their technicalities  get you in trouble. You learned to deal with this on the playground. Apply those lessons to this part-time situation. And then apply all that experience to the slackers you will meet in your future career. It's all playground politics, no matter how expensive the toys, how nice the clothes, or how rarefied the titles.

You have the information and the contact people you need to change this situation. It is not fair, it is wasteful, and it will be uncomfortable. But it is another step in learning to negotiate the politics, obstruction and waste you are likely to encounter in the rest of your working life, if there are any other people present. Good luck, dear, and keep us posted on how it's going. You have decades (if not centuries!) of experience to draw on from this group, and that gives you an edge many do not have. :thumbsup:
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

The Meromorph

Dances with Motorcycles.

Scriblerus the Philosophe

He was surprisingly accommodating when I asked to not be scheduled before 11am anymore.

Thank you, Mero. I suppose that he did, then, break the law. I will take this to the proper authorities if it happens again, starting with his supervisors and working my way up to corporate, if I have to.
I think, also, that one of the shift supervisors told him that we could get in trouble for violations, since he went out of his way to avoid one today.

PoN:
If they even try to apply those labels, I'll remind them that I was very willing until I was taken advantage of. Though I doubt they'll try, since they all do the same thing anyway. The only one who might try is opera boy, and no one likes him anyway (not an exaggeration--people go out of their way to avoid working with/inviting anywhere this kid).

'Bitch' is a necessary position in the store. You do all the pre-close so that the closers aren't there until 2am. They call it the princess shift, but what I call it is more accurate. I don't resent the assignment. I'm one of the night girls, usually, so it happens.

I think that if we tell him that we can get in trouble for his actions, then we'll see an improvement. I see, so far, that he doesn't want us to get in trouble for his mistakes. Or, possibly, he doesn't want to pay for overtime and/or violations (since I get time and a half for it).
It could be either or both.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Scriblerus the Philosophe on April 07, 2008, 05:38:43 AM
Thank you, Mero. I suppose that he did, then, break the law. I will take this to the proper authorities if it happens again, starting with his supervisors and working my way up to corporate, if I have to.
Before declaring all out war I would suggest a very subtle direct approach: "You do know that's illegal, right?" in the most innocent tone you can muster, and consider harsher measures if he disregards the subject.

It is indeed a fine line to walk though.  :-\
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

I think that if we tell him that we can get in trouble for his actions, then we'll see an improvement. I see, so far, that he doesn't want us to get in trouble for his mistakes. Or, possibly, he doesn't want to pay for overtime and/or violations (since I get time and a half for it).

coming at him from his side ought to do the trick.. you are helping him out by warning him about it... if you get in trouble then he will.... 

I'd be phrasing it like " I don't think we should do this anymore as someone might start objecting and quoting the law at us...."

make like you are really helping him out and you'd really prefer to go on breaking the law but to save his neck you better not :ROFL:

Always Works !
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 07, 2008, 08:16:32 PM

coming at him from his side ought to do the trick.. you are helping him out by warning him about it... if you get in trouble then he will.... 

I'd be phrasing it like " I don't think we should do this anymore as someone might start objecting and quoting the law at us...."

make like you are really helping him out and you'd really prefer to go on breaking the law but to save his neck you better not :ROFL:

Always Works !

LOVE it!

Heinlein was right:  an appeal to a person's better nature may or may not work.  He may not HAVE a 'better nature'.

An appeal to a person's altruism:  same thing.  He may not possess one.

But, an appeal to his greed or his desire to survive?  You can count on BOTH to be present in everyone.  ;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

My manager may or may not have a better nature.

But that brattish girl I keep covering for? She ain't getting the message. She's asked me to cover for her today and I told her no. She juuuust texted me, asking if I work tomorrow. And I do in the afternoon. And I'm not rearranging my schedule and already delicate sleep cycles to cover up for her constant FUBARs.
I will not be her lackey. I've told her that I'll call in the multitude of favors people from other stores owe me for covering for them if it's for something critical (i.e. a death in the family) but not for something she forgot to warn the SM about.
She can just fuckin' deal with it at that point.  >:(
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Sibling Chatty

YOU GO, GIRL!!

Don't let 'em do it to ya!! :high5:

This sig area under construction.

pieces o nine

Brattish Girl will cry and say you're mean.

She will tell all her posse to like dis u & stuff cos u r sooo mean!!1!!On3!1

2 bad. U r 2 smRt 2 b manipulated like that.  :D
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 13, 2008, 08:50:54 AM
Brattish Girl will cry and say you're mean.

She will tell all her posse to like dis u & stuff cos u r sooo mean!!1!!On3!1

2 bad. U r 2 smRt 2 b manipulated like that.  :D

Well, you ARE being mean!  Just because you are asserting your OWN interests above hers, and just because you value YOUR time as YOUR OWN, and more than her time.... ::)

How rude of you to think like that.  ;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Darlica

:thumbsup:

Brattish Girl will probably go to the boss and tell him you are mean ::), I hope he has a good answer ready for her since you have been so nice to him.

And I'd like to echo Chatty:
YOU GO, GIRL!!

;D
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

I recommend the book When I say No I feel Guilty = there are loads of others probably equally good but that's the one that sorted me out :ROFL:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

I did not feel an ounce of guilt. I've helped her out more than I should've, and she can reap the consequences.

And she won't whine to the manager about it. She's not that much of a child.
And she no-call,-no-show'ed yesterday.
I was amazed she still had a job to come to this morning.

Griffin NoName

Well it doesn't have to be guilt you feel. As I said there are loads of other books about "Saying No". I just picked that one as I have it myself and it's a popular one.

The fact that you are writing about this indicates it is troubling you in some way. Maybe When I say no I feel angry? 

I don't know:

Fill in  your own feeling:

when I say no I feel .............

Saying No is one of our societal taboos so we all tend to feel something until we get to the stage of not even noticing we are saying No :mrgreen:

Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 14, 2008, 11:18:20 AMThe fact that you are writing about this indicates it is troubling you in some way.

Or gloating (I mean that in a non-negative way) - it's reaffirming to share one's little victories. 

Don't take any guff from these swine, Scrib. ;)

WWDDD?