News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Pictures

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 12, 2006, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Well, that last one is from the first site I saw which is part of the Yo'Okop complex, literally in the middle of the jungle and trying to scale that pyramid/mound I almost crack my head open with a broken tree... yet, I really loved the experience, and still want to go back with more time to explore the whole complex (it was too big, too dense and I didn't have enough time). The other ones are open parks with a ranger guarding the site, selling tickets and/or making you sign a visitor's book.

Among other curiosities, I was looking for Mayan calendar glyphs and I found that the one corresponding to my birth -K'ayab- is a parrot!

I bought my symbol and my son's as a present (not exactly the one picture above but similar).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

pieces o nine

What a great vacation -- and what cool photos!
Thank you for sharing them with us. 
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Lovely photos - it's incredible what these phone cameras will do nowadays.  I love the carvings; the way South Americans do faces is different and scary.  I hope you had a good time, Zono.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Technically those are mesoamericans, in South America we have some more striking faces:

http://www.howlingearth.com/images/sanaugustin2.jpg

Those are from an archaeological region in Colombia called San Agustín, not much is known about their culture but their monolithic sculptures are quite something.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultura_San_Agust%C3%ADn

No article in English, you can try Google's translation:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=es&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fes.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FCultura_San_Agust%25C3%25ADn

Griffin NoName

I bet their heads hurt. ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Super, Zono, I just love those faces.  ;D

In return:

A unique Norman north doorway in Ampney_St_Mary, Gloucestershire.  Sadly, when the walls were buttressed at some point, they saw fit to put a buttress into the doorway.  I can't see why that was necessary.

Remarkably the tympanum is not a semicircle, and the boldly carved beasts merge into the bead of the rim.  Built, say, 1140 plus or minus 15 years.  We visited it last Sunday, after an excellent lunch in the pub opposite.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

That is very cool.

While it's a pity that there aren't much ancient buildings in FL I can't complain considering I just visited some in MX.  :D

Sibling DavidH

The new lambs are now all born over here - the farmer at Kenchester Court told us this morning that they'd just delivered the last of 650, including these twins:

As if farmers didn't have enough to cope with at the moment, the new Schmallenberg virus has devastated flocks all round here, but didn't touch this farm.

pieces o nine

Is the red (dye? paint?) to identify individual animals, ewe-lamb (pairs), or flock ID? How long does it last?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Usually it just marks the flock in case of a mix-up, but these lambs apear to be numbered, which is new to me.  It lasts all season, but it has to wash out so as not to ruin the wool.  Not that the wool makes any profit nowadays.

Maybe it's just until the lambs get ear-tagged like their mum.

Griffin NoName

I think it's a conspiracy by the food industry to alert them to which are the oldest, and therefore toughest to eat, lambs........... ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on March 14, 2013, 12:38:51 PM
Not that the wool makes any profit nowadays.
To profit you must sell the garments yourself, possibly by marketing them as Fair Trade.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 15, 2013, 01:56:34 AM
............possibly by marketing them as Fair Trade.

..............or Fair Isle................ Ho! Ho! Ho!
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

Opsa

Last night the rains finally ended with a nice finale.