News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Pictures

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 12, 2006, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Not fully satisfied with the tree.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

I like it. Is it Ygdrasil?

Swatopluk

Indeed. The boat is my addition though.

Sibling DavidH

Somehow I didn't remember a boat among all the weird stuff round Ygdrasil.

pieces o nine

I rather like it there.    :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Swatopluk

(Sketch of) Runestone of Skibotn (Northern Norway, near trijunction with Sweden and Finland)

Swatopluk

In comparision, this is what a fake runestone looks like
Front:

Back:

Sibling DavidH

Took some shots at Bredwardine church today.  This is the blocked N doorway, no part dating later than ca 1150.  I disagree with the standard view in thinking that the basic doorway may be a lot older than that.  That door has more puzzles than most architecture I know, even round here.

Here's the lintel close up.  What are those figures?  The standard textbook says they're 'gods'.  ???

Blocked up N doors are common and lintels in Norman arched doorways are standard, but that one looks like it was shoved in later and the quoins reinforced.  And why was the infilling done in 3 or more separate stages?

Sibling DavidH

How do you like this fine old yew at Pipe Aston, Herefordshire.  The church in the background is about 900 years old, and there will almost certainly have been an earlier one on the site.  The tree looks likely to be over 1,000.

Strange - the yew is outside the church enclosure, which is unusual.  The boundary itself is unlikely to have moved: they are generally very ancient indeed and often pre-christian.

Roland Deschain

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on January 02, 2012, 08:02:11 PM
Here's the lintel close up.  What are those figures?  The standard textbook says they're 'gods'.  ???

Blocked up N doors are common and lintels in Norman arched doorways are standard, but that one looks like it was shoved in later and the quoins reinforced.  And why was the infilling done in 3 or more separate stages?
I looked it up and found a reference to this particular N door in an ancient text that has been hidden for centuries. It says:-

In days begone did our kith and kin fight thee monsters from the deep. The Old Ones were mighty indeed, but our heroes fought valiantly, and Atlantis did fall in the battle into legend of old. Thee abominations from the deep were buried and sealed in, and thee ancient incantations spake over them in solemnity and great reverence - ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. If thee great doorway is not sealed every 1000 years, the Old Ones may rise again and escape into the world, for it is their intention to enslave us.

I don't know what it means, but it sounded important enough to share with you. I'd be careful around that doorway from now on...
:squid_robed: :cthulhu: :squid_robed:
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: Rolandph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Yes, we had one of those but the wheels fell off.

Roland Deschain

^ :giggle:

I have many pictures i've taken, but here are a few of my favourites from various holidays for you:-

Bratislava, Slovakia 2007

Budapest, Hungary 2007

Vienna, Austria 2007

Porto, Portugal 2007

Galicia, Spain 2007

Navarra, Spain 2007

South Coast, England 2007

They're an eclectic mix of the weird, or just taken at the right moment. I have plenty more, but i'll need to sort through them and find only a few of the best for you to look at.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Sibling DavidH

The guy in the bar is magnificent!

pieces o nine

You've been to some interesting places!

~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~ 
Not a vacation pic, I suppose, yet one of my favorites.     :D
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH