News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Pictures

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 12, 2006, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

Lazy old Mrs H down in a local lane, while I've climbed all the way up the bank to a gate and found it was the wrong one!  Might as well take a shot...

Sibling DavidH

More flying cephalopods at the kite festival.

Sibling DavidH

We recently visited Deerhurst, Gloucestershire.  The church is of unknown age - there is proof that it was already there in 802.  On general historical grounds it's unlikely to be much earlier than about 680.  Of course there was a Celtic Christian church on the site before the Saxon one, and from the position near the Severn it's a fair guess that there was a pagan religious site there before that.  Much has been changed and added since but a lot of Saxon work stands unaltered.

Here's the west wall of the nave, of the earliest Saxon phase.  Call it 1,300 years old and you won't be far wrong.  I have seen even older Saxon work in the UK, but only in two places.  Ignore the pointed arches in the N and S walls - they're Early English, put in say 800 years ago.

Aggie

Ooh, keep lens open for Green Men if you spot any!
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Here's one on the West Door of Leominster Priory, taken by one of our participants whom I was tutoring in photography.  I'll dig out some more from my architecture photos; I must have quite a few.

Aggie

Lovely, thanks!

The only place I've yet to find them in Calgary is on our sewer manhole covers (foliate heads, not the disgorger type like in that photo).  I'll have to snap a photo. 
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

This one's on the S door at Kilpeck, of which I posted a pic a while back:

This is at Abbey Dore, not my photo.  It was a now-displaced ceiling boss and was originally painted.

pieces o nine

great pics! please post more! 
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Thank'ee, Pieces!  This one's not a Green Man; we visited a friend yesterday in Wimborne Minster (town), Dorset and of course we looked at the Minster (church).

Here's Mrs H's photo from the SE:

Here's looking past the lovely Early English nave to the Norman crossing tower and beyond into the Choir and Chancel (various ages).

And looking straight up the lovely crossing tower:

No Green Men here, but I'll find some more for Aggie soon.

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Sibling DavidH

Mrs H and #1 daughter between them created this for me.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

Great sweater!  (jumper? what is the correct term for men's soft stretchy knit top garment where you are?)

I can't do embroidery anymore without getting 'claw hand', so I began dabbling in knitting with these in Denver. Much easier for aging hands to hold, and you'd have to work to *not* get even stitches.

I feverishly perpetrated a plain black sweater for H last winter which (bless his heart!) he carefully packed and actually took home, although he never wore it here.  :)

I've been perfecting my Doctor Who-length scarves and long sweater-sock-slippers for four years, and finally had an epiphany about how to painlessly turn a heel last weekend. As a result, I have a truly nice looking pair of slippers for my mom this Christmas, made from this super-soft variegated 'chinchilla' yarn.

On the other foot, mom's feet are larger than mine and I'm not sure how much this might shrink if she uses hot temps on washer & dryer, so I added 6 rows to the size that fits me. Yarn is so thick, each row is, like, 12mm!!!! So when I tried them on the final time -- yarn flippers!

I refuse to give up, though!

Knitted secondary gifts for all until I master this, no matter how many years it takes...
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Here's another Green Man for Aggie.  This one's on a misericord at St Lawrence's, Ludlow.  That's only about half an hour away from us and has excellent gastro-pubs, so I'll pop up there soon with the excuse of taking a good photo of it.  This is off the net - someone told me about it yesterday.