News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Easy Questions?

Started by Swatopluk, November 15, 2006, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin

Something odd happened the other day. I was in the kitchen and suddenly saw light coming and going in the hallway. Thought it was a power surge. But when I went out in the hall I could see the bathroom light was on and the extractor fan was going (linked). The flickering had been the light coming on.

Have I got rats eating the electric cables?
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin

Now I have a dropping. It is about just over a cm long, curved, black, 2-3mm diameter but halfway between round and flat, very hard, stiff, brittle. Of course, it could be something else entirely. It was close to a rug which has some black tufts but they are not stiff and brittle. Or it could be chocolate from the days when I ate  pain de chocolat, but where has it been hiding?
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

That's a pretty big turd, but I've never had rats around.

Does it taste like chocolate? ;)

Seriously though, was the light and fan switched on previously (i.e. did they come on for no reason or just go off temporarily)?
WWDDD?

Griffin

Quote from: Aggie on August 09, 2017, 04:20:29 AM
That's a pretty big turd, but I've never had rats around.

I don't think it is rat, but that is the most obvious, but I haven't found any more.

Quote from: Aggie on August 09, 2017, 04:20:29 AM
Seriously though, was the light and fan switched on previously (i.e. did they come on for no reason or just go off temporarily)?

I don't think it had been on for days.
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

I can't see how the light would have been turned on from any action inside the walls (i.e. chewing on wires, etc), unless:

-switch was already on
-a wire to the switch or device was loose already
-something knocked the loose wire back into place

which is all fairly unlikely.  Having the whole light and fan go out unexpectedly would be more of a worry regarding rats in the wires.

I'm not sure how to explain it though; it's possible that the circuit was out (blown breaker) and someone reset it, although I'd expect the breaker panel to be in your apartment.  Most likely is that the switch was left in a halfway-on-halfway off position and just began making contact.  Keep me posted if it does anything else funny.

WWDDD?

Griffin

Thanks Aggie. What we call "The Fuse Box" is inside my flat and I hadn't been anywhere near it. I'd know if a switch were thrown. Light bulbs going can do that.

I guess I have to go with the switch was between off and on. Even that does not leave me feeling happy.

I have a new cleaner - it'll be her last put the light off.
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin

A new question. Why does a teaspoon balanced on top of an open bottle stop the fizz disappearing?
Psychic Hotline Host