News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Word Association Game

Started by Vita Curator, October 04, 2006, 03:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

(nope, didn't know that)

Warm snow....
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

slippery runway

(not to lose the thought train ;) )
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

falling model

(I'm surprised myself, considering the soils around Vancouver airport: the area is generally all soft, uncompacted river delta deposits.  They had to pre-load the site - i.e. cover it with several meters deep of dirt and leave it for several years - just to get a decent degree of compaction before building.  I would've figured they'd want to reduce the loads on the soil as much as they could, and a big, tall building isn't usually the best way to do that)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

expensive hobby

(that sounds like an expensive way to build, back home buildings are said to *float* because the soil under has a high water content. It's cheaper than lots of sand resting for years)

Aggie

trim

(good dirt for blueberries and cranberries there, though!)
WWDDD?

Ribbons

(Actually, I know in around Mexico city, and possibly back home for you, anon, raft foundations are fairly common because the soils are so bad that pre-loading wouldn't work: your mound of dirt would just continually sink until you end up with a big hole in the ground.  Raft foundations can be quite expensive, and are tricky to build.

And there are raft foundations here, too, but they resist soil pressure primarily - the idea is that the weight of the building is equal to the weight of the soil you removed to build it, and since everything was at equilibrium, it stays at equilibrium.  But as you mention, groundwater does affect them... so if your water table fluctuates up and down quite a bit, your building may sink or try to push itself out of the ground depending on the water table level.

Plus, new-ish river deposits haven't yet reached equilibrium, so even a raft foundation would continue to sink if you designed your building to be the same weight as the material removed.)

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I'm back..

Cote D'Azur

(and I apologize for the previous overdose of geotechnical engineering!)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Monaco

(Its ok, I think this makes the thread more interesting :) )

Sibling Chatty

Princess Grace

(I read this thread for the commentary. That's part of the fun here--we can wander off on tangents and not worry about anybody freaking.)
This sig area under construction.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Princess Buttercup

*shrugs*
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I'm back..

Sibling Chatty

This sig area under construction.

Swatopluk

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Kiyoodle the Gambrinous

I'm back..