News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Waxing Nostalgic

Started by Bruder Cuzzen, July 21, 2007, 06:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

You guys are naming some of my favorite songs of all time!

Can we put a Nostalgia area in The Toadfish Radio?

Bruder Cuzzen

After spending much time lately preoccupied with pirates , my mind keeps on throwing up images of Cracker Jack.....does anyone remember the jingle..." candy coated popcorn , peanuts and a prize........Cracker Jack .

In my day 10 cents ( or was it 5 cents ?) could procure  a goodly size box ( for liddle kids  hands ) of Cracker Jack .

I was sad to see it repackaged in a pouch , the box could be sealed by pushing a flap down and we could shake it constantly to reassure ourselves some was left .
The prizes in the box were much like what one would find in Kinder Surprise Eggs these days .

It reminds me of pirates and vice versa because a lad in a sailors suit salutes you .....*sigh*

Scriblerus the Philosophe

I don't remember the jingle, but I do remember when Cracker Jacks came with a decent prize, rather than the sticker that comes now.
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

Opsa

"Whadda ya get
when ya gotta have sumpin'
and it's gotta be sweet
and it's gotta be alot
and ya only have a dime?

lip-smackin'
whip-crackin'
paddywhackin'
(somethin'-ackin'...)
(deep breath) CRACKER JACK!

Candy-coated popcorn
peanuts and a prize-
that's what you get with
CRACKER-JACK!"

I'll bet Chatty knows the missing lyrics...

Edit: OMG, here's the whole thing: http://members.cox.net/jeepers/jingle.html

and here's a sound bite, even: http://members.cox.net/jeepers/cjjingle.wav

Blast from my candy past, Duje!

Bluenose

Who remembers this?

When you find yourself in danger,
When you're threatened by a stranger,
When it looks like you will take a lickin',
(puk, puk, puk, puk)

There is someone waiting,
Who will hurry up and rescue you,
just Call for Super Chicken!
(puk, ack!)

Fred, if you're afraid you'll have to overlook it,
Besides you knew the job was dangerous when you took it
(puk, ack!)

He will drink his super sauce
And throw the bad guys for a loss
And he will bring them in alive and kickin'
(puk, puk, puk, puk)

There is one thing you should learn
When there is no one else to turn to
Call for Super Chicken!
(puk, puk, puk, puk)

Call for Super Chicken!
(puk, ack!)

Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Bruder Cuzzen

SUPER CHICKEN ! That takes me back , we had a radio parody called ...CHICKEN MANnnnnnnnn.....bock bock , bock , bockkkk... bock bockkkk.....hes everywhere! , hes everywhere!.

Bluenose

Oh yeah!  With you on that front Bro.  I just LOVED Chicken man!
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling Chatty

Quote from: Opsanus tau on August 13, 2007, 10:04:20 PM
"Whadda ya get
when ya gotta have sumpin'
and it's gotta be sweet
and it's gotta be alot
and ya only have a dime?

lip-smackin'
whip-crackin'
paddywhackin'
(somethin'-ackin'...)
(deep breath) CRACKER JACK!

Candy-coated popcorn
peanuts and a prize-
that's what you get with
CRACKER-JACK!"

I'll bet Chatty knows the missing lyrics...

Edit: OMG, here's the whole thing: http://members.cox.net/jeepers/jingle.html

and here's a sound bite, even: http://members.cox.net/jeepers/cjjingle.wav

Blast from my candy past, Duje!

Chatty, as a child, was never allowed any candy or candy coated substances, thus disregarded all advertising for same. (Chatty is 54 years old and wouldn't be able to tell you what Cracker Jacks taste like, as she never tasted them before...) My mother wasn't really big on allowing certain things, at least when I was a child. My brothers fared better.
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

Griffin who is but a little older suffered full on sweet rationing (Mero presumably suffered similarly). That's how even as a very small child I knew that wars were bad things. Sadly the effect of the end of rationing meant the secret guzzling of massive amounts so the teeth are as bad as if the war never happened, or possibly worse. I'm therefore not sure where I stand on wars ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

We weren't allowed soda pop at our house, but occasionally candy was tolerated.

Cracker Jack was generally thought of more as a snack than a candy, as it had some nutritional value (from the peanuts) and not that much sugar, just a wash of caramel glaze. We often blew our allowance on it. It was tasty and the little toy surprise was an extra treat once the snack was gone. I have happy memories of Cracker Jack.

Sibling Chatty

Ah, snacks were also verboten...

My mother was bound and determined that her daughters wouldn't suffer from the same weight problems she did. My mother needed a clue about genetics.

I remember being 13 years old and a friend buying me ice cream at a Baskin Robbins. I'd never had actual ice cream before, only dietetic 'ice milk' with artificial sweeteners and almost no butterfat content, or one of the other substitute products that Mom allowed. It was miraculous!! Creamy and different!! And then I realized exactly how 'different' I was... how much my Mom had kept from us for our own good (according to her) and I set out to taste all the things I had been denied.

To this day, however, snacking between meals is something I can't really do. Physically, it's fine, psychologically, I feel ill if I do it. (Yeah, and I'm supposed to eat 5-6 small meals a day. That'll happen when pigs fly.) Intellectually I KNOW better, my body just won't go along.

Opsa

You poor thing. Moms shouldn't make so much of a stink about weight. That's one of the reasons I was once anorexic. We should just concentrate on being as healthy as possible given the body we have.

Do you rememeber the Beatles on Ed Sullivan for the first time? My sisters and I must have been among the thousands of girls singing into vacuum-cleaner handles later that evening. (I was John, because of my square jaw.)

Sibling Chatty

I sat on the floor watching, stunned...and envied the family down the street that had just moved to Houston from Liverpool, and had the British Beatles recordings.

I got to see them in Houston on their first US tour. Seats in the nosebleed section, surrounded by the girls from Incarnate Word Academy and a group of nuns. Nothin' weirder that NUNS at your first rock concert!

Opsa

Were they shrieking along with the other girls?

Sibling Chatty

Nah, the upper balcony didn't really shriek. We were too busy with the opera glasses and even big binoculars...

One of the younger nuns did pat her foot, though. :o