News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Started by Aggie, September 29, 2006, 04:09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

No competitions, just explanations, comments, and samples of new avatars (BTW, LOVE that avvies auto-size here!).

Mine's a (pissed-off) Great Horned Owl I encountered on Wednesday... here's more pics.
WWDDD?

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

Mine is a yeastie - Brettanomyces, to be precise.  I don't know for sure whether it's a Brettanomyces Lambicus, but I've decided that it's close enough.

Here's the original, larger image:

Quote from: Agujjim on September 29, 2006, 04:09:37 PM
(BTW, LOVE that avvies auto-size here!)
Though the aspect ratio isn't maintained, which makes my little yeastie look fatter.

Or at least that's what he tells me.  I have noticed that he's not exercising much any more, though.  Hmm.

Aggie

Looks like a micro-manatee.  :D

Hmm... I wonder what aspect ratio is "normal"... we could precrop pics, then.  You should be able to take a little off the top and bottom to refocus it...
WWDDD?

Aphos

My current avatar is a 15th century castle in Lubeck, Ger.  I took the picture several years ago when I visited Europe.
--The topologist formerly known as Poincare's Stepchild--

The Meromorph

Mine is from Avatarity.com
It's a distant cousin of mine.
Ah! Family pictures...  :P
Dances with Motorcycles.

NeferKa the Bodhipasta

Quote from: Aphos on September 30, 2006, 12:32:30 AM
My current avatar is a 15th century castle in Lubeck, Ger.  I took the picture several years ago when I visited Europe.

Aphos, your avatar reminds me of a painting at the Minneapolis Institute of Art:

The Promenades of Euclid, by René Magritte

(Mine's a bodhisattva in a plate of tasty pasta! I combined the image one night when I was a little bit bored at work!)

Duke

I got this avatar a while ago, and I think I'll stick with it. It sort of speaks for itself.

Duke
"Baldrick, you wouldn't know a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and
danced naked on a harpsicord singing Subtle Plans Are Here Again!"
--Black Adder

The Holy Grail Of Signature Quotes: http://hgosq.blogspot.com/

Opsa

Mine's a symbol for the monastery we were working on a while ago. A cross between a Jolly Roger and a toothy toadfish. We'll probably work on more symbols after we've gotten settled.

I'm fascinated by the owl, Aggie. What was he so pissed off about? And in the daylight, no less! Was he trying to protect something? Was he injured?

He is a handsome fellow.

Sibling Chatty

Mine's a photo of my children. They may look familiar.
This sig area under construction.

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on September 30, 2006, 03:12:00 PMI'm fascinated by the owl, Aggie. What was he so pissed off about? And in the daylight, no less! Was he trying to protect something? Was he injured?

He is a handsome fellow.

The owl was in good physical shape and sitting on a backroad.  Sadly, we think it may have been poisoned (likely from eating poisoned mice etc), since it couldn't fly away.  It'd flap/run a few feet at a time.  I was trying to shoo it off the road so we could drive by... no luck. 
WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I had originally had a pic of a humming toadfish, but once I move ALL my stuff into my cloister over here, I changed to my familiar meerkat.

The meerkat in the photo is a cropped head-and-sholders shot of the patriarch of the clan, and he was "sitting fat and sassy" at the time of the photo.

He was apparently watching the silly humans come and go through his window.  I sometimes imagined it to be "Meerkat TV".  And "Today, on Meerkat TV: Stupid Humans Coming and Going, dragging their Screeming Offspring Along".   :D

Anyhoo, I dressed him up with a hat & patch, so he'd better fit in.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Mine is some old priest carrying a London Underground sign - for continuity- taken from a station called NoName. Unfortunately I can't post it big enough to show the exquisite detail. The perfection of the grasp of the hand on the sign brings tears to my eyes.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Chatty

BtU, I have long believed that at the end of the world, the Meerkats will come onto the stage at Milliways and reveal that it was THEM, not the White Mice, that were directing things all along. I still have not figured out how they communicate with the Dolphins (sorta their Navy/Coast Guard Auxiliary) but i'm more than certain they can do it.

All in all, i'd suspect that they're twice as smart as my current Congresscritter (the challenger would give them a run for their money) and have at least quadruple the intelligence of Kay Bailey BreckGirl, one of our Senators.

BTW, our Congresscritter challenger is a former diplomat to Australia. He has a collection of comfortable hats to prove it, too! (Ted Ankrum)
This sig area under construction.

ivor

Quote from: Agujjim on September 30, 2006, 03:52:03 PM
The owl was in good physical shape and sitting on a backroad.  Sadly, we think it may have been poisoned (likely from eating poisoned mice etc), since it couldn't fly away.  It'd flap/run a few feet at a time.  I was trying to shoo it off the road so we could drive by... no luck. 

He looks too fat to fly.  ;D  I had an owl flight right over my head one time.  I was too close to her nest.  She didn't make a sound as she passed over.  I could have reached up and grabbed her.

MB

Scriblerus the Philosophe

That owl is beautiful. Poor fellow.

Mine is a slightly photoshopped picture of a half-dead rosemary at a supermarket around here.
(I say slightl because there's only one filter on it)
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay