News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What Are You Listening To?

Started by Duke, September 28, 2006, 08:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

I just put the first (of 20) CD of "A History of the World in 100 Objects" (BBC Radio 4) into the CD player.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

I must confess  [get it? ha!]   that I would not be listening to the following, had I not been inspired to hunt it up again by the delightful link Opsa posted.  So I guess that what I'm saying is: it's Opsa's fault, Opsa's fault, Opsa's grievous fault.

ZOMG! Jesus Christ Surferstar!

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Violence and Variations, from Bear McCreary's soundtrack for Battlestar Galactica.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Quote from: pieces o nine on January 11, 2013, 01:49:16 AM
I must confess  [get it? ha!]   that I would not be listening to the following, had I not been inspired to hunt it up again by the delightful link Opsa posted.  So I guess that what I'm saying is: it's Opsa's fault, Opsa's fault, Opsa's grievous fault.

ZOMG! Jesus Christ Surferstar!

I'll take that blame and raise ya one. I've never heard of this before, but it is brilliant! Being familiar with the original, I clicked on "Hosanna" and just about wiped out!
:ROFL:

pieces o nine

Someday ima gonna go plumb nuts and actually *buy* that cd -- preferably finding it in the "3 for $12" bins at the local eccentric new/used music shop! I will drape myself in old rosaries, scapulas, and holy cards, maybe a cheap plastic lei from the local party good store, recreating choreography from the original while dancing joyously to "What's the Buzz" in the living room.

On a much better note, is anyone else in the Monastery a fan of the Mediæval Bæbes?

[youtube=425,350]KXCA5z6kQZM[/youtube]

[youtube=425,350]t0v7nv2s3tQ[/youtube]
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"

Swatopluk

Quite interesting. I'll take a look.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Any group willing to call themselves "Mediæval Bæbes"  clearly doesn't take themselves too seriously, and is worth a serious look. :)

I like the 2nd piece better, as I could hear the voices quite well.  The first one, not so much (a common problem with live performances-- the bass was covering the voices in that one, unfortunately, and the person running the camera was too... much in the picture, trying to be too cute with the cutaways.  Video editing should be utterly transparent, and never intrude to the point that you keep going, "what?" because of the odd editing choices.)  ::)  :)  (yes, I used to direct wedding videos, so it's not like I haven't sat in the hot seat myself...)

I'll look them up, and avoid any live albums.  :D

Edit:  A check over at Amazon MP3... there is quite a selection from which to choose.   Quite lovely.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

I would be so pleased if more siblings became fans.

When I first started ordering their albums back in Wiscaaaaahnsin, they just weren't arriving. It became frustrating. Then my clerk at the local music shop discovered that *another* clerk kept moving them to the headbanging/metal section (based on the edgy coverart) rather than leaving them on the special order shelf on the classical+ side.   :)  I've never been disappointed with a Baebes disk, then or since.

Today I'm listening to some older TruthSurge YouTube videos.

Lindorm

Aren't the Medieval Baebes a sort of spin-off from Miranda Sex Garden? I do like the Baebes, but I actually think I prefer Miranda Sex Garden -at least their album Fairytales of Slavery.

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Lindorm

Speaking of pseudo.medieval, there is always the german group Corvus Corax.
They actually started out as a (relatively) serious recreationist group in DDR, but have now developed into something a bit more Conan the Barbarian/D&D than historical accuracy. Still lots of fun to listen to!

Old style:
[youtube=425,350]iF9K9GK-WF8[/youtube]

Newer style:
[youtube=425,350]TIXV2NhLb_0[/youtube]

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Swatopluk

A mixed bag, as is In Extremo

e.g. I like this very much
[youtube=425,350]cLKFi1mkI8E[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLKFi1mkI8E

other stuff from them far less.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

All were interesting musical choices there.

I was especially fascinated how Corvus Corax, in the newer style, managed to get so many cats to cooperate in their the making of that video... ::) :D

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Something from this side of the pond (but both sides of the equator):
[youtube=425,350]X9AqRNFXCPs[/youtube]
WWDDD?

pieces o nine

Here's another YT link to Aggie's video, for those murkins what aren't authorized to lay their peepers on his link.  (Also English lyrics under the Show More clicky.)    :)

[youtube=425,350]FeLeIGO65Q[/youtube]

She has a very interesting voice, Aggie. I'll be listening to more of her work.

Thank you for pointing me towards Corvus Corax, Lindorm.  So many uploads to peruse there!

Aggie

I can't even see your vid, pieces. 

The song is Vaporous by Elsiane. The duo is from Montreal, with the lead singer originally from Peru. I've been getting back into trip-hop and the like lately and have dug up a few interesting new artists.

Darn this country-specific utubery. I really can't fathom why it's such an issue for people in other parts of the world to see a video that's fine for locals to see.
WWDDD?