News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you drinking?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), June 30, 2007, 01:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

an energy drink, I'm too sleepy and still have a couple hours to go in the office.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

belatedly finishing the morning tea
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Last swig of coffee from this morning... just a bit, so it won't affect me sleep.. .(I hope... but I hates to waste good coffee...)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Tea has still to be brewed

Late-morning coffee.

This is a new mix, something called "velvet chocolate".  It's good-- the chocolate is not overwhelming to the coffee bean's natural flavors.

I was in a lazy mood when I purchased it, it's pre-ground.   But the freezer outta keep in the majority of the subtleties.

Aggie

I've heard mixed things about storing coffee in the freezer.  From my experience, the most important factor in maintaining flavour is to keep out oxygen (and light).  Perhaps an oxygen-scavenging packet in the sealed coffee container?
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Just open a bottle of this stuff which is a local specialty.

I've tried various "air-tight" methods-- but the freezer works the best, for two reasons:

1) it lowers the rate at which oxygen reacts to the exposed (by grinding) ingredients

2) it reduces the evaporation of the subtle oils, which would otherwise vanish within a day or so.

I suppose I could obtain a quality vacuum pump, and a sturdy container, and pump out all the air each time... but I suspect that would only hasten the loss of essential oils...

Quote from: Swatopluk on August 28, 2011, 10:17:51 PM
Just open a bottle of this stuff which is a local specialty.

Apparently, I can get something akin to this under the name of "apple beer".  I shall have to give that a try, if I can find some brewed naturally.

Off to the specialty shops!

Swatopluk

Time to transport the tea from the kitchen to the PC (which is also about the longest distance in this flat).

Afterglow

GATORADE -been working outside in 104 F; 40 C- to replenish electrolytes and re-hydrate...

Arizona is hot hot hot in the summer time!
JUST HERE but sometimes THERE!

Swatopluk

More of the good ol' 'barrel lemonade' (see previous posts)

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on August 29, 2011, 12:39:02 AM
I've tried various "air-tight" methods-- but the freezer works the best, for two reasons:

1) it lowers the rate at which oxygen reacts to the exposed (by grinding) ingredients

2) it reduces the evaporation of the subtle oils, which would otherwise vanish within a day or so.

I suppose I could obtain a quality vacuum pump, and a sturdy container, and pump out all the air each time... but I suspect that would only hasten the loss of essential oils...

I've always been suspicious of whether any sublimation is occurring with the volatiles in herbs and the like stored in the freezer.  The water sublimates from frozen foods even in a closed container; now, I know that this happens due to specific properties of water and might not happen with oils, but I've seen reference to the oils breaking down.  I've seen information indicating that if you keep coffee frozen until use it will be okay, but repeated freeze-thaw cycles will deteriorate it.  As you know, the best bet overall is to buy small amounts, keep whole beans around and fresh-grind it.  I generally end up buying one-pound bags when I'm on a coffee kick but don't always finish them in a reasonable amount of time due to reduced coffee consumption (I'm especially bad with decaf; when I'm on a decaf kick I tend to cut back to less than a cup a day after a week or so, and when I get back to coffee-ing I'll go to full strength or half-caf).

High-test (swiss) peppermint tea... still has kick on the second pot.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

You don't really want to know what is in coffee aroma. Several hundred components most of which would be labelled with a skull, if stored seperately. :mrgreen:
Paracelsus was right.

---

There is some tea in the future

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Caffeinated, diet cola (no advertising this time ;)).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.