News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Setting Up Email

Started by Aggie, August 04, 2017, 04:37:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Getting tired of using webmail from ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ ('cuz I don't like being logged into the bigdata machine all the time).  How do I go about setting up my own private email? Presumably I'll need some sort of webhosting?  I do have a parked domain with Dreamhost that would work just fine as an @domain.com address.

I'm a Firefox user and would probably try Thunderbird unless there's a particularly good reason to use something else (I'm used to Outlook from my cubicle days).  I'm not sure how to set this sort of thing up on the web end, though.
WWDDD?

Griffin

Unpark your domain.
Login to your webhost control page (usually called cpanel..... www,cpanel.yourdomain.nn.nn whatever co, uk,oh, or might be Plesk or something I forget..... should be somewhere in info from webhost when account set up, or ask them...

There should be a section called "Email" with several icons for setting up accounts, filtering etc.

Set up your account.

Ok, your done here.

Get Thunderbird (I use it, I like it, and some good addons if you want to customise)

Set up your account in Thunderbird. Name it the same as your account on server just for clarity in case you add any other account later. For example, Griffin@mydomain. Set incoming mail to pop.hostserver.com/org/whatever. Set outgoing mail to smtp.hostserver.com/org/whatever. Couple of other things to do - set your "reply to" address. etc.

I think there's a setting for delete or leave post on server after download - in Tools.> Options - go through to check settings are how you want them.

Your done.

That's the general steps. I can't remember the details off the top of my head, but ask if you need to know more about how to it and I'll look bits up.

Your done.

Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Thanks Griffin.  It's on my to-do list; should get some time for it soon when I stop doing 10 hour days.
WWDDD?

Darlica

If you havn't solved this yet I can recomend "Proton mail".
Googlyeyes can't read it. You can send encrypted messages to anyone and it's free if you don't need multple accounts or msssive amounts of space/Gb.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Thanks, Darlica!  I haven't got around to this yet... still have more important things that are behind schedule.

Is that webmail or a host-your-own thing?
WWDDD?

Darlica

It's a webmail and it works as well on a computer as with the app on a smartphone.
Both Lindorm and I use it for our private mail. We still have and use Gmail for some mail but important stuff now goes to the Proton account now. ☺

Griffin

There's also one called Safe Mail : http://safe-mail.net/

Aggie, you don't have to look up your mail on the web. You can use a mail client on your own machine which will download all the messages onto your own machine. All email can be used either way - on the web, or downloaded, or indeed, both ways. I mentioned Thunderbird - that's a mail client. I prefer to be in charge of my mail than leave it somewhere in space with some company that may turn evil. But then I don't store any data in the cloud either. Once a security IT person, always a security IT person. I do use Dropbox when absolutely necessary, but never for personal stuff, stuff like academic papers etc.

Darlica, how is parent-hood?
Psychic Hotline Host
One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

I'm generally not as concerned about security as I am about being milked like a data cow, followed around the web and advertised to. I agree with you about staying off the cloud. I could moan for hours about how the Internet is going to hell and technology isn't what it was (sign of my age), but for the most part I just find myself opting out of all the new things I don't like.

I'll most likely set up my own email account when I get around to it...  and want to go to the bother of switching over with all my accounts and contacts.

Still have my flip phone, too. ;)
WWDDD?

Griffin

Ah! Flip phones - was so proud of mine. I am now suffering with a smartphone. I love what I can do with it, but it's design annoys me intensely. To switch off an alarm one has to slide a symbol from one side of the screen to the other. Same with answering a call. It's very hard to connect with the symbol, usually takes two to three tries, and then to slide it across - it often stops halfway - and finally when it reaches the other side it goes over the edge and launches, arbitrary applications. It phones my local taxi rank a lot.
Psychic Hotline Host

Darlica

Quote from: Griffin on November 03, 2017, 04:48:55 AM

Darlica, how is parent-hood?

Thank you for asking.
A rollercoaster... as expected.😜
Some days are wonderfull others are, well, let's just say not so wonderfull. Thankfully there are more of the first kind than the latter.😊

Griffin

Enjoy even the not so wonderful ones too............. they eventually leave and forget to stay in touch. Mind, grandchildren are easier.

I used to sit weeping on the floor next to the nappies soaking in a bucket (smelly) - then I'd have a gin and manage to get on with it. We didn't have disposables in those days.

Topic drift. Maybe we need a baby thread.
Psychic Hotline Host