News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"How do they expect us flicted people to learn this...?"

Started by Aggie, December 14, 2006, 05:04:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Heh, thought Sibling Chatty might appreciate this.  Jennie's dyslexic too.  ;)
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

Yep. I rarely have trouble with actual spelling, though. I just can't get the stupid symbols to stay in one position, with all their parts there.

Numbers and symbols are worse that letters. I KNOW that an S "stands up". It does not lay on the side, but stands on its base, but i'll be damned if I can make it LOOK that way without effort.
This sig area under construction.

Aggie

I had (have?) some issues with numbers, mostly 4, 5 and 6.  I used to constantly mix up handwritten 4s and 5s if they were consecutive (45 vs 54) and same deal cognitively with 56 vs 65.  Nothing else, though.

I need to get cracking on the Korean (hangul) and see what kind of dyslexia falls out of that... it's a lovely phonetic alphabet that was designed to increase literacy in the common masses (in the 1400's.... but we can't do this today?).

QuoteHangul is a featural script. Scripts may transcribe languages at the level of morphemes (logographic scripts like hanja), of syllables (syllabic scripts like kana), or of segments (alphabetic scripts like the one you're reading here). Hangul goes one step further, using distinct strokes to indicate distinctive features such as place of articulation (labial, coronal, velar, or glottal) and manner of articulation (plosive, nasal, sibilant, aspiration) for consonants, and iotation (a preceding i- sound), harmonic class, and I-mutation for vowels.
WWDDD?

Sibling Chatty

I have problems with 3 5 and 8, since I often only see parts of a symbol.

Bad days, I HATE b and p because they're the same damn thing.

We shall not even consider 6 and 9. They are the reason I have math anxiety.
This sig area under construction.

Aggie

WWDDD?

Scriblerus the Philosophe

Nice. My father's dyslexic, too.

I have issues with three or more digit numbers. They switch around a lot. 729 becomes 792 or 972. Very frustrating, because then I get lost on campuses I' m not familiar with, not to mention the problems it makes for my math classes. ><
"Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees." --Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay