News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Oldham Bi-election

Started by Griffin NoName, December 04, 2015, 01:34:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

This bi-election somewhat of a test for Labour party led by Corbyn as first post general election. Won, increasing majority by Labour. Usual for bi-elections for government party not to do well, plus Laabour candidate much loved Oldham council leader, so hard to read, but definitely looking good for Corbyn, who could do with it just now...... Green Party lost their deposit, as did the Monster Raving Looney Party (fielding Sir Oink-a-Lot), but that's hardly news.

Why am I posting this? Possibly because I got the figures right and the well-used journalist heading the studio discussion didn't. So just to show off really.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Are you suggesting that there is a risk of Cameron going away soon?

(even Emperor Harper in Canada lost his head not that long ago)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Unfortunately no. Oldham is Labour stronghold.

I do think Cameron has gone crazy but I don't suppose that will make any difference.

He is redrawing the boundaries for constituencies so they greatly increase the Conservative vote, has already made a big cut to the money given to parties with MPs other than the party of government for running their Commonns offices etc., dismantling the welfare state, and various other cunning traps. So it is unlikely anyone but Tories will ever get into power in the future. We will become a one party autocracy.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on December 05, 2015, 02:45:33 AM
He is redrawing the boundaries for constituencies so they greatly increase the Conservative vote, has already made a big cut to the money given to parties with MPs other than the party of government for running their Commonns offices etc., dismantling the welfare state, and various other cunning traps.

Jerrymandering is crap, this is still something politicians are getting away with?  >:(

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on December 04, 2015, 04:26:13 PM
Are you suggesting that there is a risk of Cameron going away soon?

(even Emperor Harper in Canada lost his head not that long ago)

I'd suspect that part of the reason Harper got the boot is the fact that our electoral districts are for the most part large blocks with plain borders (not sure what Toronto looks like).  A low population probably helps here, as there's no excuse to chop things up too much. 

Canadians are also pretty fickle, and will switch allegiances throughout their lifetime.  Even dyed-in-the-wool Conservative supporters, who vote right on social issues, will change their tune if they're not seeing their sacred economic performance. Alberta (our most Amrikan and right-wing province) recently tossed out a multi-decade Conservative dynasty in favour of the left-wing NDP.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Gerrymandering (in the States they use a G) is the name of the game here, which explains how despite more people voting democrat for congress both chambers are controlled by the repugs, it is my understanding that the system favors the Tories in the UK as well.

To my knowledge NZ is one of the few places where they got things right (and the system was implemented to the dismay of the politicians through direct voting).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Pure misspelling on my part. Gerry it was, and is, and ever shall be. ;)

We've been talking about Senate reform in Canada for a while, and I hope that the Senate is not abolished, but instead moves towards proportional representation based on % of the popular vote. I'm not holding my breath. ::)
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Gerrymandering here is supposed to no longer happen. There are parliamentry rules about it. But they involve The Speaker interrupting and stopping it, but he doesn't, so it doesn't work and just goes on happening. I find it outrageous. It does seem to be the Tories who do it and benefit. I signed a government petition asking it to be stopped (thousands of signatures) but just got a feeble response back saying much as I've said above (except not saying it doesn''t work, but implying it does).
Psychic Hotline Host