News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Oakwood Worldwide

Started by Opsa, February 03, 2007, 09:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

I was reading in The Washington Post about a luxury hotel business called Oakwood Worldwide. Apparently they're attempting to go green by promoting conservation in their suites or something.

It was kind of funny, though. They were saying to keep the thermostats down and use towels and sheets more than once (per customer, I hope!) so I was wondering- are they trying to keep their costs down, or to be conscientious about the environment?

Griffin NoName

Well, their customers will vote with their feet so I hope it isn't towel sharing.

One of our environment agencies shuts their whole building at 6 each evening citing environmental reasons, preventing workers - who would normally work late - from working to protect the environment. This had me literally rolling around clutching my sides it hurt so much from laughing.... it so much the true British public spirit.

When will commercial outfits adopt this practice?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Aggie

Quote from: Opsanus tau on February 03, 2007, 09:16:38 PMIt was kind of funny, though. They were saying to keep the thermostats down and use towels and sheets more than once (per customer, I hope!) so I was wondering- are they trying to keep their costs down, or to be conscientious about the environment?

This is common in hotels now - usually in the form of a little card in the bathroom asking guests to hang up towels they wish to reuse, and place towels they wish to have washed in the bathtub.  It's probably more of a cost control move than an environmental move, but if it benefits the environment and potentially keeps rates from climbing, it's a win-win situation. 

I'm guilty of not always being careful about water and electricity use at home, because utilities are included in my rent.  Now, if I was paying out-of-pocket, this would change QUICK, but at the moment it's a matter of conscience - I try to conserve, but sometimes slip.  I'm also discouraged by the amount of 24-hr light pollution that comes in my window from the surrounding office towers...  :P

Any place that environmental concerns can be tied directly to profits, we will see change!
WWDDD?

goat starer

Quote from: Opsanus tau on February 03, 2007, 09:16:38 PM
It was kind of funny, though. They were saying to keep the thermostats down and use towels and sheets more than once (per customer, I hope!) so I was wondering- are they trying to keep their costs down, or to be conscientious about the environment?

I used to work for a government funded programme to get businesses to be more environmentally friendly. The majority of businesses acted on advice that would save them money but ratrher enjoyed the good feeling (and publicity) that being good corporate citizens gave them. So it is probably a bit of both with an angle towards the cost saving.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"