News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

LoveStar

Started by Aggie, September 29, 2014, 08:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Just finished the English translation of LoveStar by Andri Snær Magnason. 

It's one of the best novels I've read recently, possibly ever. It's a sci-fi love story set in a consumerist dystopia/utopia (depending on your perspective) in the near future, mostly in Iceland. It reminds me in some ways of 1984 or a Chuck Palahniuk novel, but it's more lighthearted and tongue-in-cheek than either, so maybe a bit of Douglas Adams as well.

It's one of those books that comments so keenly on the current state of society (especially user-targeted advertising on the Internet - which has become obsolete in the novel) that it's hard to imagine it was written in 2002 and not 2014.  Definitely ahead of its time, and recommended.

I will be adding this to my permanent library when possible.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I have that Draumalandið film of his on DVD but not yet watched.

Hm, should I try to get that novel in the original language? A hard nut to crack, I fear. My German-Icelandic dictionary is far thicker than my Icelandic-German one and the latter may be a wee bit short on the specific vocabulary too.

QuoteLoveStar er skáldsaga eftir Andra Snæ Magnason sem kom út árið 2002. Bókin fjallar um þau Sigríði og Indriða sem eru ástfangin hvort af öðru og efast um sannindi LoveStar sem er íslenskt stórfyrirtæki sem hefur á nokkrum árum náð að sölsa undir sig heiminn með því að finna leið til að beisla og nota ratvísi dýra.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

The Meromorph

Amazon has a Kindle version of the english translation for $9.99.
I just bought it.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Swatopluk

I still am an oldfashioned printed paper guy as fas as books are concerned.

I could get it as an ebook for €6,49 or as a paperback for just under €12 or as an (uncut) audible for just below 16€.

Griffin NoName

It's over £8 for the Kindle edition here, which is really expensive for an ebook. However onne can get it for £2.45 + postage as a new paperback from Amazon Marketplace, so really cheap............. my problem is I have stacks of books waiting to be read on my Kindle, and I have just bought a load of real books and have a huge stack to read............. and I am trying to clear my shelves so shouldn't be buying any. So, decision, should I buy this at all? I read the "Look Inside" which is obviously very brief, and was not impressed. I think if I'd read it in 2002 I might have liked it, but now? not so sure.

** waves at Mero **
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

US$9.99 on Google's ebook library. Placed it on my wishlist for the day I get a new job...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Jeez, I just found it randomly on the shelf of my public library. They let me have it for $0.00. ;)
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I have ordered a copy from Iceland (should arrive in a month or so) and have started yesterday to read the English translation. There is no print edition in German, only an ebook.

Aggie

Icelandic culture seems to be grabbing my attention on multiple fronts lately... I've been listening to this band a fair bit:

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks

[youtube=425,350]ghb6eDopW8I[/youtube]

Of Monsters and Men - Mountain Sound
[youtube=425,350]qt7ox1M_XG4[/youtube]
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

I am through about half the book (Indridi just encounters the Big Bad Wolf(TM)).

Again, the impression gets fed that Icelanders are weirdos by nature.  ;)

Btw, the methods used against our LoveStar-crossed lovers look like right out of the Stasi manual (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zersetzung).

Aggie

Ah, you haven't quite gotten to the Mickeys yet? ;)

I love the manically optimistic tone of the dystopia in the book; the whole system is designed to restrict freedom, but at the same time grant you everything you want.  Most of the characters are pretty content with the whole thing.

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 20, 2014, 04:57:40 PM
Again, the impression gets fed that Icelanders are weirdos by nature.  ;)

Ayuh...  that's why I'm starting to like the place more and more (even the weirdest people I know tell me I'm weird). ;)  We may have to plan an actual trip there at some point.

This isn't a new thing.... I'm pretty sure I was the only kid in my redneck high school who listened to Bjork (circa Homogenic).
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Unfortunately I have neither the time nor the financial wherewithal. And it will still take a lot of time before I can try to talk to somebody in the local idiom beyond "Skulde még, talað þú Ensku eða Þysku?"

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 20, 2014, 05:29:21 PM
"Skulde még, talað þú Ensku eða Þysku?"

If you can read that, let alone speak it, I'm impressed.

I suppose it means, excuse me, did you clear the table before going skiing?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

No, it just means 'Excuse me, do you speak English or German?'   :D

Some survival tips: Never ever call an Icelandic equine a pony. Those are horses. And do not try any pickup artistry. In both cases the ax in your head may not even result in legal prosecution of the perpetrator since obviously YOU started it and no one could be expected to not react to the provocation.  ;)

Aggie

I come from an agricultural community in which farms raised such things as Icelandic horses, ostriches, ginseng and roe deer, so I hope I'd have the good sense to avoid the former.  Actually, I think I have a connection that can get me some well-composed Icelandic horse manure (seriously, it's supposed to be some good shit).

As for the latter, I'm curious for you to elaborate (is it just better to wait until inLOVE makes the match?).  I'd be unlikely to set a foot wrong there as my personal reality is one where it's inappropriate for men to make initial advances, and women do the picking up, but knowledge is a powerful thing. ;)
WWDDD?