News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Here's a book on comparative mythology that I'm currently working on. It's free!

Started by RobertMason, January 12, 2014, 03:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertMason

What it says on the tin, folks.

Just go here to look at it: http://www.mediafire.com/view/w7rsvpx46i47uz0/Brother%20G's%20myth%20draft.pdf

By the time that I'm done with it (hopefully sometime at the end of the month) it'll serve rather well as an introduction to comparative mythology. The main text is like a TVtropes or Tough Guide to Fantasyland for mythology and religious, with the idea being that you can't intentionally do anything with the building blocks of myth if you don't know that they're there. You can't avoid or subvert them on purpose, and you definitely can't decide to intentionally play them straight if you don't even know that they're there.

So for the benefit of writers everywhere, and also for anybody who's interested in mythology, I decided to cook this up.

World knows that the internet has given me enough goodness over the years. It's time that I give something back besides some story ideas and bad fiction.
Whitemarbleblock.blogspot.com

Stories, story ideas, and other things usually having to do with stories.

Darlica

Thank you!
I have read 10-15 pages and downloaded it for further reading when not on line.  :)

I've been fascinated with myths and old religions since a was very young, living in in an area which is one of the worlds highest frequents of rune-stone might do that to you...  ;D I all started with old Asa-gods or the "Norse mythology" as it's called in English*  and then I  just kept reading. Greek myths, the bible, old Egypt, Hinduism...

Having read Tough Guide to Fantasyland (and enjoyed it)  as well as it's Science-fiction sibling (the blogg The Tough Guide to the Known Galaxy ) I think I know what you are after.
And so far it's looking good!

I look forward to the result!

*I find this funny but wrong since it's more of a Nordic thing and parts of what was to become Sweden was pagan long after the whole of Norway and Iceland was christened)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

Cool, RM! Looks like a lot of work. This could come in very handy for students of mythology. Thanks for sharing the effort and the link.

RobertMason

Whitemarbleblock.blogspot.com

Stories, story ideas, and other things usually having to do with stories.

Opsa

Amazing. I love pages 62 & 63 with the story starters and enders, especially this one:

"A cat in the bog put up his tail and there ends the fairytale." Icelandic.

I wonder if Swato is familiar with that one!