News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Youtube - worse with every change

Started by Swatopluk, November 07, 2013, 02:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Again the yahoos that control the interface/design/functions of youtube have struck.
At the moment I cannot post any comments because the system claims I am not logged in (despite showing my avatar and username). Trying to log in at the comment box itself gives me options I have not authorized the guys to give me (like plain name and email address) or the one I am already using. Clicking just brings me back to the original page keeping me still officially not logged for comments (and by now even thrown out completely with no way of getting in again without the same go-back-to-start reaction).
Plus they removed the option to display comments as threads which was originally default and later at least optional. So, it is impossible to see who responded to whom and who posted independently.
And for the last time KEEP THAT GODDDDDDAAAMMMNED GOOGLE+ OFF MY YOUTUBE!!!!!!!!. I AM NOT INTERESTED!!!!!! And don't ask me every other day why I use the username I use and not the other and what the exact reason is to use different names on google+ (I DON'T USE GOOGLE+!!!!!) and on youtube and whether I am really sure about that and why I do not manage everything under my plain name and address from my  GOOGLE+ account (I DO NOT WANT YOUR GODDDDAAAMMMNEDDD GOOGLE+!!!!!!)?
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

That is annoying, but just work around it.

Yahoo! constantly asks me for my "remote device" number, but I never give it to them. I don't have a smart phone and I'm not going to be using Yahoo or Google on my cell phone. I figure that surely other people are as Luddite as I am. They'll just have to deal with it.

Swatopluk

That would be nice if they had not now thrown me out of my own canal and treat me as a new user everytime I try to get in again (which also seems to have killed my whole history like my Abo list. Next I will try to find under what name my uploads now are stored (if they have not killed them too).

Swatopluk

Oh, and trying to log out, deleting youtube cookie and logging in does not help (even going off net by switching off the browser makes no difference). The system only offers me the sae options, i.e. it keeps knowing me and does not give me the option to log on from scratch by entering a username. I would not like to kill all google cookies too just on suspicion.

Griffin NoName

I've always hated Yahoo. Although I do have two email addresses with them - used as login decoys. And Unfortunately one of my BT accounts deafults to Yahoo (the other defaults to M$Sh*t; go figure).

I suspect there is a way of doing what you want hidden in the page; it's probably like one of those games such as "Find Goldbug". The more intuitive they make stuff, the less intuitive I find it.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

I started with a yahoo.com address as I knew I would be moving and didn't want a mess with possibly important mail still going to an account sponsored by a service provider whose area I would be leaving. I don't remember why I chose yahoo over hotmail or gmail or anything else back then, it's just what I chose. That has remained my "formal" addy, through hell and high water. I have a couple proxy addies, also yahoo.com, based off it for board memberships and the like.

Yahoo has pulled a number of irritating stunts in an attempt to force its users to conform to whatever new idea was raised at the last corporate brainstorming meeting, but I've always managed to weather them. This new and ongoing obstacle course at YouTube is annoying me as well. I've steadfastly ignored Google's shock -- SHOCK! -- that I do not have a google+ account, nor do I have any intention of creating one. I DO NOT WANT  to log in as my legal name; there is no need for it. I DO NOT WANT  a google+ account. I DO NOT WANT  their "suggestions" for topics which they know perfectly well I will never click on, because even when I am logged out some of the "suggestions" are really off the wall stuff (specialty sewing channels, for example, and don't tell me that those are enjoying sudden universal popularity!).

I had to jump through incredible hoops to even log in a few weeks back after YouTube arbitrarily decided the old way was no longer acceptable, no way, no how. I had to cough up a new series of passwords, which they "accepted" and then did not let me log in with. In a fit of complete pique, my password is now a creatively and profoundly untaddy activity suggestion for them.
;D
Inexplicably, this works.

I've looked at the recent comments sections on a couple favorite channels, and it is a mess with this new "improvement". I suspect the day is coming when YouTube *refuses* to allow a log-in without a google+ account. If/when, I'll still watch channels I like, but forego logging in to post appreciative comments for quality work, which is a shame. Sometimes I think the conspiracy theorists may be correct here: an attempt to drive amateur, individual creators back out of the market and force a pay-per-view or paid-subscription consumer market of professionally created (e.g. approved) and commercial-infested material.

I thought the unofficial google motto was "don't be evil"?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

I take issue with Google+ too. I don't want it. I don't need it. I abhor it. It's taking up a huge amount of MB on my smartphone and I can't uninstall it as it came "pre-installed".

I also have a problem with the new Google Login which is stupid. I have three different Google a/cs and that used to be fine, no problem but now logging into a different one from last time is ridiculously tediously difficult.

I hate these companies forcing their nonsensical "improvements" on us, especially when it's to do with joining everything up. I don't want things joined up; that's why I have separate a/cs.

I also hate the way when I buy something online, it suggests I tell all my friends on facebook "I've just bought a pair of boots".
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Now any youtube address gets redirected to a https witht he result that all attempts to display videos gives an error message (even when embedding it here). I had something similar in the past but then it was sufficient to delete the s from https. Now not even that works.
Youtube help only yields such a load of technobabble that I don not get anything off it (something about SSL and stuff that has to go through https, may go through https and may not depending on circumstances I do not understand)

Any idea anyone?

Edit: When I log off from my youtube account I can access the viedos the old way but the moment I log in again even the running video immediately stops and I get the error message (and the address has been switched to https again).

Griffin NoName

Hang on, clarify, when you are logged in to Youtube and click to view a video, it goes to an https page and displays an error, so you can only view videos when not logged in?

If so, I diagnose:

1. You are not properly logged in - as per previous posts in 2013
or
2. Youtube has a bug

I'd go for 2.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

Now simply being logged in into my Youtube account means being on a https page (not the case a few dyas ago).
And it seems to me that the videos get streamed encrypted then which my system seems unable to cope with.
But all plugins seem to be up to date and the page itself is loaded normally. Just displaying the video give the error message (in the video window) 'An error ocurred. Please try again later click here for help' (in German). The help is not actually helpful since it assumes that either there is no internet connection or the uploader is fiddling with the video currently.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Which browser are you using and have you tried a different one? Some times the settings of a browser can mess it up and you have to reset it, which works both with Chrome and Firefox.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

Firefox but I cannot find a setting that could apply.
Now I am at a different PC and there the redirection to https does not happen.
I have the suspicion that it has something to do with the antivirus/firewall and the security certificates. Bullguard seems to be a bit fussy on occasion. But I am not aware of any changes between yesterday and the day before yesterday.

Griffin NoName

The redirect to https may happen and immediately itself redirect so quickly you don't see it happening on this other PC.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Check this link:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

After you reset the browser try again. I'd suggest downloading/trying Chrome also, even if you keep using FF more so considering that YouTube is from Google and chances are that it will work better first in Chrome.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

I think you need to make an incantation to the gods of chromefox.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

As a chemist I am opposed to chrome on principle :mrgreen:
It cannot be a browser problem per se since logging out of the youtube account allows normal watching. The moment one logs in again, the problem returns. And some data obviously arrives since on the scroll bar still images can be perceived when the mouse is moved over it.
Deleting youtube cookies does not help btw.

Griffin NoName

If it were IE it could be a browser issue. eg. Some pages won't display properly unless run in something called "compatibility mode". This needn't be the whole site, just a page. (or it could be). Of course, this would also depend on going a different route to the video according to whether logged in or not logged in, which is quite possible if they don't follow rigorous coding standards. The point I make is that without a trace, you can't tell where the problem occurs or what it is. Of course, that doesn't mean you can't rank the most likely explanations.

But it isn't IE.
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

The antivirus company support service gave me the advice to update to the current version. After some hesitation I did and it worked (at least yesterday).