News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Help spread this one far.

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, November 06, 2013, 10:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

http://zipzac.com/

This thing is amazingly cool.  Spread this idea far and wide-- small kids with mobility issues so need one of these things.

Help this company reach them and vice-versa.

Thanks.

(and no-- I have no stock or interest in the company other than I think it's an amazing thing)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Nice product, but why the >$1000 price tag? Presumably because it's considered a medical device? There's considerably less in terms of moving parts for that thing than there is in a Big Wheels.  Even using much better materials, this shouldn't cost more than a few hundred dollars, IMHO. The price is going to be a big barrier for less well-to-do families, unless the new insurance regime will support it.

I don't necessarily blame the manufacturer...  it's likely an early-phase product and produced in small quantities, but there must be a way to get it out the door for less, or offer subsidized prices for low-income families.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Brilliant. But I have buts. I agree with Aggie on price, but I'm not surprised by it. My other question is why the child has to rotate the actual wheels - it would be better if they had rim wheels for the child to rotate like "real" self-propel wheelchairs.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Interesting but, to say that the price is excessive is an understatement.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

If you look at "medical" items, all the prices are ridiculous. Eg bath steps start at around £45 - just a small platform to step on to get into the bath more easily - it's just a piece of plastic in the shape of a step. It's very very expensive being disabled.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Yes-- the price is over-the-top, but as already noted?  Anything labeled "medical" automatically has 1000% inflation added to pass the incredibly strict process.

Had it been labeled as a toy, it would not qualify for insurance.   But a toy could be built for less than $20, in my opinion.

And I expect to do exactly that-- if ever I'm confronted with a close friend/relative with a small kid who cannot walk-- I'll build it out of hand-formed fiberglas, and local wheels.

But I love the basic idea, and spreading it around, I think, is a good thing.   I'm not the only handy sort who sees this as a pattern-- not as a purchase opportunity.  :D

Aggie

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on November 08, 2013, 06:15:28 AM
Yes-- the price is over-the-top, but as already noted?  Anything labeled "medical" automatically has 1000% inflation added to pass the incredibly strict process.

Had it been labeled as a toy, it would not qualify for insurance.   But a toy could be built for less than $20, in my opinion.

Loophole: Sell an identical 'toy' version for $100.  Let sales to insurance companies make the profits (because people with insurance will want it for free; the companies will have to buy the medical equivalent), and make the others readily available to those whose insurance wont. People would buy these as toys, too.
WWDDD?

Quote from: Aggie on November 09, 2013, 06:27:24 AM
Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on November 08, 2013, 06:15:28 AM

Loophole: Sell an identical 'toy' version for $100.  Let sales to insurance companies make the profits (because people with insurance will want it for free; the companies will have to buy the medical equivalent), and make the others readily available to those whose insurance wont. People would buy these as toys, too.

That is exactly how I'd do it, myself. 

Darlica

Nice. Way too expensive though. :-\

I've seen a similar one before. Everybody else better watch their toes... ;)

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 07, 2013, 05:01:46 AM
Brilliant. But I have buts. I agree with Aggie on price, but I'm not surprised by it. My other question is why the child has to rotate the actual wheels - it would be better if they had rim wheels for the child to rotate like "real" self-propel wheelchairs.

Having friends with a disabled child I can actually answer you question about the wheels. :) their kid had something like this on lease from his physiotherapist.

There are proper wheelchairs for very young children, depending on the disability say from about the age of 3.
This would be more akin to a toddlers walking chair, a cross between a toy and a appliance, something mostly used in door and mainly for learning how to move about not for transportation. Young children are nor all that aware of where they have their hands and other extremities (for example they stumble lot more than adults, get caught in doors and such). If they had their hands on the outside of the wheel instead of on the wheel the risk of jamming their hands in to a doorpost or get the fingers trapped between let's say a table leg and the chair would be much larger. Also small children have very short arms, reaching for an outer ring on the wheel might be impossible for the target group.

I hope I have straighten out some question marks.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Thanks, Darlicia, I had not really given it much thought-- the chair was clearly meant as a personal mobility device in doors, on hard floors.

As a result, direct hand-to-wheel just works, without needed specialized wheel construction.