News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

"Canadian Smalltalk" (weather - all nations included!) Thread

Started by Aggie, November 29, 2006, 06:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

I'd put it outside for a while and see if it changes it's mind!  :mrgreen:

Mild and sunny today. We saw people in town out having picnics.

Swatopluk

It will be a cold week (zero during the day and -8°C during the night). So the snow might stay for a few days too.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

pieces o nine

They've been threatening snow for the weekend all week. It jumped us and headed east again.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Sibling DavidH

Bluenose

Well we broke the record for the number of consecutive days above 30°C in March - we've done 8 in a row - the previous record of 7 days was set in 1961.  If it goes above 30° tomorrow as forecast it will be the longest run of consecutive days above 30° in Melbourne for any month since records commenced.  It's only been getting down to the mid-high 20s overnight which has been rather uncomfortable - thank the toadfish for ceiling fans in the bedroom!
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Well.... it's unseasonably cold.  33F

With the unseasonably warm February, I rather expected a short winter-- but it appears that all the normally-in-February coldness was simply pushed to March.    It dropped well below freezing last night, for example.

And many of my idiot annuals (flowers) had already pushed above ground, due to the continuous +50F days in Feb, and were wilt-frozen as a result.  They may recover, they may not-- this has happened in the past, and on those years, I just don't get any blooms.  Ahhwell, I didn't plant them-- but I do enjoy the occasional times when they do manage to survive the changing seasons and bloom.  :)

My toilet's functional again, in case anyone wondered.  ::)

I was expecting an early wake-up call, to install a furnace-- but it appears to have been canceled due to crappy weather-- the old one is housed in an outdoor closet, subject to the near-freezing temps the whole time.  My partner has been rather sick of late, so it's hardly surprising he'd push it for another day or so (it's not time-critical, not the sole method of heat for that building, and all the working furnaces are well able to take up the slack; compared to the rest of the nation, Oklahoma really is mild in the winter).  

Just as well-- I've a bit of a migraine myself.  Strong coffee + real dairy cream is helping .... rather alot, actually.   :D 
:cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

Hey, Bob- have I gone on and on about Feverfew plant for migraines to you yet? I'm almost fanatical about it. I could get a suit and a bicycle and a name plate and a little pamphlet with panda bears and lions and rainbows on it. But seriously, it is an easy plant to grow, and I have used three leaves between two slices of bread upon early warning signs of migraine and it has made it pass on by within about 45 minutes without getting to the acute pain stage. I used to get migraines twice a year. I used feverfew to treat four of them. Then they stopped coming completely. That was ten years ago. Worth a shot, if it is a recurring problem.

Oh yeah- Weather! Cloudy and mild, here. Rain expected.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Opsa on March 11, 2013, 04:57:26 PM
Hey, Bob- have I gone on and on about Feverfew plant for migraines to you yet? I'm almost fanatical about it. I could get a suit and a bicycle and a name plate and a little pamphlet with panda bears and lions and rainbows on it. But seriously, it is an easy plant to grow, and I have used three leaves between two slices of bread upon early warning signs of migraine and it has made it pass on by within about 45 minutes without getting to the acute pain stage. I used to get migraines twice a year. I used feverfew to treat four of them. Then they stopped coming completely. That was ten years ago. Worth a shot, if it is a recurring problem.

Oh yeah- Weather! Cloudy and mild, here. Rain expected.

Yes you mentioned it previously, and I, in my oldage dotage, have completely forgotten all about it.  :D

My migranes vary greatly as to the effects and intensity; and to date?  A strong cuppa Joe has always, without fail, cured what ailed me-- if to replace the 'grain with a bit'o'jitters... I can live with a wee bit'o jitters in exchange.

Last nights' wasn't all that bad, and I blame it on too strong of herbal teas before bedtime, drying out my sinuses a bit too much-- couple with quite a drop in average temperatures and the resultant drop in humidity, and bingo:  I get a sinus-migrane, keeping me from really good sleep.  I was too sleepy to wake up & do something about the migrane, but in enough discomfort that I didn't truly get to real sleep.  meh.   As soon as morning rolled around, and I really woke up, I made me a cuppa strong coffee.  I'm all sorted, now.  And not in the least sleepy either.  But I expect to crash about 7pm ish.  I'll either take a nap, or read some to stay awake.  

But I really ought to look up your plant recommendation.   As you say, it's not hard to cultivate.  

------------------------

Edit:  A quick look at Amazon, and Feverfew is apparently a reasonably common herbal, found in most health food stores.  Next time I'm in the Whole Foods market, I'll pick up some. 
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

The reason strong coffee may work is that migraine is quite a common withdrawal reaction from not having coffee. When I used to drink a lot of coffee, I'd often wake up with a migraine. Used to happen if I smoked to excess too - withdrawal while asleep is a killer.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Still damn cold and the wind has backed NE - even worse.  It snows small flakes in odd patchy showers, but it settles and isn't melting.

Some oaf once wrote a poem welcoming the North-easter.  Clearly insane - should have been locked up. :giggle:

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

I prefer fresh feverfew, but I've never tried the capsule form. Plus, I like the little flowers in the garden.

Raining like blue blazes here. The garden is a river.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The news from zonoland are temperatures in the 70sF/20sC. Perhaps a cooler morning in 50sF/10sC but not much less.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

The whole of the south east, including London is in the grip of the usual hysteria that accompanies snow. People stuck on motorways for 11 hours etc. Except right here, there is no snow at all. This has happened before. I seem to live in a small area of London that doesn't get weather.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

pieces o nine

"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677