News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Unmentionable cleaning

Started by Griffin NoName, June 16, 2013, 07:06:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

My toilet has horrid black staining/build up, under the rim.  I've tried various toilet cleaners but they don't work. A "cleaning" lady told me "the only thing that will get that off is.........." but I failed to get the rest of the sentence and am none the wiser and she has gone AWOL (a different story). I think she said a type of salt, and a friend said she thought it was more an acid than a salt.

Any suggestions?  (stuff I could get hold of, not stuff restricted to chemistry labs)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Physics applies in those cases more than chemistry in my experience.
In other words, muscles and some abrasive.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

An electric brush (not toothbrush) could serve as a substitute. Should be possible to borrow it.

The Meromorph

Dances with Motorcycles.

Swatopluk

That one is a standard ingredient in WC cleaners already.
In order to really make it effective one would mix it with hydrochloric acid. But that would require at minimum thick protective gloves and a gas mask.

Griffin NoName

Hmmm. Interesting. I bet it is the mix then. But I don't think gas masks were planned. And goodness knows where she would have bought it.

I found this but appears not to have a price. http://www.nama.com.sa/our-products/calcium-chloride-hydrochloric-acid-sodium-hypochlorite

I do love the way Mero lurks and very very occasionally pops in and then just to say two chemical words :D

edit
oh I found this too LoL http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1354456
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

The CaCl2 is likely just the absorbant for the other components, so it is semi solid or it is just a byproduct from the production (CaO + HCl/Cl2). The mix is hypernasty, esp. when hot. Do not try that at home.

Griffin NoName

Should I take my toilet somewhere other than home?
Psychic Hotline Host

Swatopluk

That would require more muscle power than the use of simple abrasives.

Griffin NoName

I could hire in the muscle !  That might prove quite exciting.
Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

There's a product here called CLR that is meant for that sort of thing.  It usually has more to do with the water than anything unmentionable.

OTOH, something gel-like might cling better.  It's likely that you'll need something rather nasty and corrosive to do the trick.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Yes, I am prepared for nasty and corrosive - as long as I can find a cleaner to apply it ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on June 18, 2013, 04:26:53 PM
Yes, I am prepared for nasty and corrosive - as long as I can find a cleaner to apply it ;)

I've used CLR with good results.  Another similar product, Lime Away seems to work too.

I'm guessing your buildup is some sort of mineral deposit, and not simple black mold, which is easily dispatched with ordinary bleach.

So assuming it's s form of mineral salt, likely with various metals to give it the dark color, you'd need something that would return it to solution.  Not easy, as these are typically the first to precipitate out of water solution.

But based on those assumptions alone, I'd look for anything that purports to deal with calcium deposits and/or rust stains.   

Read the warnings, as many of these release unpleasant fumes-- so an open window, or the powered vent on high, is a must.   

There are various ones of these that are foam based-- you spray them on, wait for the foam to do it's thing, then.. allegedly... rinse it all away.   I'd try those first-- but if you are feeling fiesty?  Obtain a written guarantee from the place of purchase, such that, if it does not work, you can return for a full refund.   

:D

Even via the Internets, this ought to be possible. 
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host