News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Thatcher

Started by Griffin NoName, April 09, 2013, 04:58:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

There has been mighty confusion because the tag nowthatcherisdead was misread by many as 'now that Cher is dead' which spread the rumour that the famous singer has died (which seems not to be the case).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Opsa

:ROFL: at each of the previous posts.

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 09, 2013, 04:58:13 PM
http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/
Back in 1990, I was sharing a flat with a friend (denizens of TOP might know him as Horza). On the day Thatcher resigned, I got a tax rebate in the post. We went out and got soooo drunk that we bought cowboy hats to celebrate.

He's still a FB friend, and within literally 5 minutes of the announcement of Thatcher's death he had sent me that link.

Swatopluk

And now there is a movement to get 'Ding Dong the witch is dead' back into the charts in celebration.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: roystonoboogie on April 10, 2013, 12:55:22 PM
Quote from: Griffin NoName on April 09, 2013, 04:58:13 PM
http://www.isthatcherdeadyet.co.uk/
Back in 1990, I was sharing a flat with a friend (denizens of TOP might know him as Horza). On the day Thatcher resigned, I got a tax rebate in the post. We went out and got soooo drunk that we bought cowboy hats to celebrate.

He's still a FB friend, and within literally 5 minutes of the announcement of Thatcher's death he had sent me that link.

:D

I remember dancing round the living room with glee when she "resigned". It was up there with The Day Kennedy was Shot (for different reasons of course) in that everyone is supposed to remember what they were doing at the time. ;)

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 10, 2013, 01:07:09 PM
And now there is a movement to get 'Ding Dong the witch is dead' back into the charts in celebration.

Yes, this was put up on another forum I use within minutes of the announcement of her death.

I've just been watching the debate in Parliament, but got sick of hearing the endless praises from the Tories, although Labour were given equal air time.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

I read she was quite determined not to have a state funeral and not to lie in state but that she will be totally ignored in that wish.

Something she has in common with at least two Prussian kings

Opsa

Again with the Prussians! Ooh, you really are tempting my lame jokes, Swato my dear. I feel like singing that David Bowie song "Under Prussia".

Griffin NoName

Hey! My ancestors came from Prussia. (although I have to say, they were fleeing tthe pograms so maybe I should not be defending this state).

On the subject of funerals. she will not be lying in state, which is something to be thankful for at least. She is having a "Ceremonial Funeral" - one step down from a "State" funeral, although the only difference seems to be application to parliament (state). They are anticipating protests and the police have asked protestors to inform them that they will be protesting which is rather sweet really. She will be transferred to a gun carriage for the last little stage of the journey to St Pauls - I hope it backfires.
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling DavidH

How taddy this thread is.  A little while back I was slapped down for a rant about Blair.  Now it's Thatcher, everyone piles in viciously and nary a rebuke in sight.  One law for the left, one for the right.

QuoteShe will be transferred to a gun carriage for the last little stage of the journey to St Pauls - I hope it backfires.

How's that for liberal intolerance?

EDIT: Yes, yes, I know you claimed to be berating me for using the word 'effeminate'.  Excellent excuse. :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

I am not calling for riots and only quoting others.

And I doubt, you'll find many Blair fans here either.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

If Thatcher was a witch was Blair a warlock?* ;) :P

*I'd call him a blank check for the US but then again I didn't have to live under his reign...  :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on April 10, 2013, 07:28:47 PM
How taddy this thread is.  A little while back I was slapped down for a rant about Blair.  Now it's Thatcher, everyone piles in viciously and nary a rebuke in sight.  One law for the left, one for the right.

QuoteShe will be transferred to a gun carriage for the last little stage of the journey to St Pauls - I hope it backfires.

Sorry, should have put an irony smilie, or a giggle smilie, or some such thing. I just thought it was humourous. By the way, back-firing literally just means the smoke would come out the backend - so might be rather impressive, and not necessarily negative.

As to the tone of the thread, I was expressing personal views.  I do not condone cruel acts however untaddy that may be, and Thatcher harmed a lot of people and her policies are still harming people now. Broadly if you have enough to live on, I'm alright jack - but if you are sick, or out of work or poor, or your whole industry collapses, even through no fault of your own, then you must be some kind of scrounger - that is certainly untaddy. There's a to my view, disgusting, me-me-me centred attitude in society which I really abhor and which I, and many many others, link back to Thatcher, with her Individuals and No such thing as Society. It slightly puzzles me, David, how working with your charity as you do, that you seem not to worry about this. And, I was no fan of Blair. Not much difference between Tory and New Labour, never mind the Iraq War.

I don't see it as right wrong, left ok. I work from the humanist end. All people are created equal. The ultra right do seem to me to not believe in that. The left of Labour, for which we currently have no contenders for parliament do seem to believe in it. I feel disenfranchised.
Psychic Hotline Host

Opsa

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on April 10, 2013, 07:28:47 PM

EDIT: Yes, yes, I know you claimed to be berating me for using the word 'effeminate'.  Excellent excuse. :mrgreen:

:offtopic:

Dear DavidH,

I am writing to defend my stance on "effeminate", which was my peeve with another thread. I am sorry that you saw it as an attack on the politician you were defending. It was not.

I am a feminist, even though I try to keep my mouth shut as often as possible about it, since being politically correct in the U.S. will get you scorned in a hurry. I did have a problem with the use of the word "effeminate" to insult a man. It was not a ruse to defend the opinion of others. It was off-topic, though. I considered not mentioning my irritation with the term, but it really did bug me.

You have every right to your opinion, as does Griffin, as long as you don't attack each other here.

I think she was really just passing on a joke, even if it may have been in poor taste.

I just want to set the record straight as far as my comment was concerned. I am sorry that you felt that I was berating you. It was not meant that way. It was a sad comment about how femininity is sometimes used as an insult. I'm not the prissiest thing in the world, but I am feminine in my own way and don't wish to feel bad about it.

Griffin NoName

You are right Opsa, my joke was in poor taste. But it was a joke.

By the way, when I said I was thankful not a "State" furneral, I meant no harm by that. If a "Ceremonial" funeral was good enough for Princess D., and the Queen Mum, I really don't think T's should be any more "honoured".
Psychic Hotline Host

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Swatopluk on April 10, 2013, 01:07:09 PM
Indeed. Oppose Thatcherism by giving 79p to Apple or Amazon, who will slap DRM on what you just paid for, not pay royalties on it because it's too old, and then not pay Corporation Tax on the profit because apparently they sold it to you from Luxembourg. That'll show the Capitalist pigs...
:doh!:

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Amazon is selling music with DRM in the UK? They stopped doing that in the States years ago.  ???

Griffin NoName

I don't think Amazon does but I do think Apple does. Or maybe that's all just wishful thinking ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 12, 2013, 12:23:17 PM
Amazon is selling music with DRM in the UK? They stopped doing that in the States years ago.  ???
They do if you use their app / download program to buy it. Or at least they did the last time I bought anything that way. Which was, as you said, years ago. Well, maybe two or three years ago...

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

In fact I didn't start buying music in Amazon until they removed the DRM (which they did before Apple), why on earth would I want DRM protected music files?

Griffin NoName

To stop your friends from stealing them?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

It would only prevent ME to use them where I want them, that is, in my mp3 player, or my car, or my audio system, or where-ever-the-frak-I-want-them. The whole authorized device is the most idiotic thing ever conceived. Even now, if a CD is cheaper than digital I buy it and rip it.

It took long but the greedy labels finally learned their lesson and allowed non-DRM sales. I understand them as the lowest of the low but at least they are no longer the most stupid business on Earth.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on April 13, 2013, 04:52:10 AM
...  the most stupid business on Earth.

Indeed.  That would still be politics.  Here in the US, politics is the ultimate Big Business.   

... bleah.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)