News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Second term

Started by pieces o nine, January 22, 2013, 04:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

The second term starts today.   :)

Favorite bits:
- the Inaugural Address.

- looking back at the crowd

- no posturing, no arrogance, just sung with heart: [youtube=425,350]mwbqD3btLiY&feature=youtube_gdata[/youtube]

Something *I* will never see!

Walking in this parade must be exhilarating, and frightening.

Afterglow will post a couple good cartoons, I believe.   :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

It was a beautiful day here, about an hour away from all that.

I am hoping that President Obama will feel empowered by his second win and will be more firm in his leadership, meaning that he will not put up with any more trash from the GOP.

Swatopluk

Slightly overlooked: TODAY is (effectively) the last chance for filibuster reform, and Harry Reid seems firmly decided to cave again (i.e. to trust the GOP senate leader's word that they can work out something in a bipartisan way. Something the guy will renege on the moment to clock strikes midnight).
No meaningful reform will garner a 2/3 majority, so either it's nuclear or nothing.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Perhaps he remembers when the coin was on the flip side and the GOPhers suggested the nuclear option during the Bush2 administration. Besides, what's the point when the House not only is safely in Repug hands but will remain so for the next couple of cycles?
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Swatopluk

The Republicans will have no qualms to totally abolish the filibuster should the Dems develop a spine. The proposed reform does not abolish the filibuster but forces the obstructing party to do it in public and to have to actively keep it up. No more blocking the actual debate anonymously. The way it is now 'cloture' is needed to even allow the debate to start and the 'filibustering' senator can do it without even being bodily in Washington. Another part of the plan is that the obstructing party has to pony up the 41 not the other party the 60 (which is a very different thing). But the 'bipartisan' plan Reid is alleged to negotiate does not even kill the stealth filibuster.
Admittedly both sides are full of hypocrisy, the Dems almost as much as the GOP.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.