News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Opsanus Output

Started by Opsa, November 20, 2006, 05:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opsa

I don't know what you'd call these. They are painted, but with a drawn feeling.

The first two are for Goatie. Please excuse the odd angles, as they have glass over them and I was trying to avoid reflections.

This was the first in my cartoony series. I was trying to break away from being too exact and literal.

These were some morning glories on my front porch:

goat starer

lovely! if I ever get a digital camera I will put up some of my tree frog paintings.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

ooOo!  (drool)
I'm eternally fascinated with people who can really draw/paint...  I'd love to be able to, but I'm just too 'logical' along those fronts.  Everything has to be symetrical or I go bananas.

Kephra the OCD doodler..
Insanity takes it's toll; please have correct change.

The Meromorph

I understand the amount of sheer effort that goes into achieving that kibd of simplicity. :)
Wow!
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling Chatty

I am in complete awe of the strength of the cat and teaset picture.

It's all great work, but the cat just gets me...
This sig area under construction.

Opsa

Opsa

Pieces o Nine

A friend I never met has gone.
Through words alone we began
and carried on through highs and lows.
She was my sibling, my sister,
my partner in crimes against the language,
my crazy boisterous pirate playmate.
She was always here, but now she's
not, any more.
I will come to the playground and look for her,
even though I know she won't be here.
I will look at the words she left behind.
They will hang in space like angels.
Like angels
aloft,
aloof,
they will not respond to my replies.

Pirate woman spirit,
are you bouncing around the afterlife
in your leather bodice,
firing up the margarita machines?
I'll fire one up for you
come Friday,
just like you would for me.

No-one could draw like you, Pieces.
No-one could think like you.
Your spirit was always free, and now
the rest of you is, too.

I only knew a tiny bit of you-
just what you shared here,
but that tiny bit meant more than you knew.
That tiny bit
was part of my heart
but now it is broken
in Pieces.

Bluenose

Beautiful, just beautiful.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Bruder Cuzzen

Griffin NoName

Beautiful Ops. I am teary.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Thank you Opsa.  that actually helps a little. 

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Opsa

Thanks, I hope so. It helped to write it. I just didn't know what to do with myself when I heard the news.

The Meromorph

Well done, beloved sibling.  :hug:
Dances with Motorcycles.

Opsa

I wanted to make some Darlica-style ice candle holders last night, since we were having arctic conditions. I remembered that Aggie had thought of filling balloons with water to make round shapes, but looking around, I was fresh out of balloons, so I used a pair of rubber gloves.

Below is how they looked this morning. They are so solid that there's no place for a candle (except maybe between the fingers?) but they are interesting.

The second photo shows icy outlines of where the gloves may have leaked a little before they froze. I thought it made a neat shot. This was supposed to be a tribute to Pieces.

Darlica

Cool!  ;D
You can make more of them, put them upright in a circle and light a candle in the middle.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Opsa

Quote from: Opsa on January 28, 2014, 03:23:00 PM
I wanted to make some Darlica-style ice candle holders last night, since we were having arctic conditions. I remembered that Aggie had thought of filling balloons with water to make round shapes, but looking around, I was fresh out of balloons, so I used a pair of rubber gloves.

Below is how they looked this morning. They are so solid that there's no place for a candle (except maybe between the fingers?) but they are interesting.

The second photo shows icy outlines of where the gloves may have leaked a little before they froze. I thought it made a neat shot. This was supposed to be a tribute to Pieces.

Quote from: Darlica on January 28, 2014, 04:48:30 PM
Cool!  ;D
You can make more of them, put them upright in a circle and light a candle in the middle.

Ooh! Neat idea! It's a challenge to keep these upright, since they are rounded at the bottom where I tied the rubber glove shut. One will stand, but the other will not. It would work in snow, though- and would probably look fascinating!

Opsa

Here's another thing- I bought some Japanese rice paper and water-colors and have been trying to get acquainted with them. I don't know what I'm doing, but this little image came out of yesterday's session. I think it is Pieces, dancing away from us now.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Gorgeous.

(and that's when you don't know what you're doing!)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

Thank you, Zone.

We just put a lit candle between the fingers of the lying-down hand and put the standing one in front. Wonderful, how the ice captures the light.

That is too cool!

Ice is really-really easy to shape, too.  Do you have an ordinary soldering iron?  You can use that to melt holes into ice very easily, and with pretty good precision too.

To flatten the bottom?  You can take your ice creation outside where there's some concrete, and holding it carefully in a gloved hand (to avoid melting it) you can easily rub a flat spot, using the concrete as "sandpaper".  It doesn't take much at all.

To melt a hole?  You could easily heat up something cylindrical on your stove-- then holding it with a pair of pliers, use that to melt a hole for your candle.  I'm thinking an old thimble would work (you'll burn the metal, so use one you don't minding ruining) to make a candle-hole.

Another tool would be a short piece of copper tubing, again held with pliers and heated up with a stove/torch.  If the tube is small, a candle would work too.

Edit: 

If you really want to get into ice carving?  Buy a heavy duty soldering iron-- one of those that has a copper loop for the heating bit (it clamps into the end with screws).  These are very simple machines-- they take 120v mains and convert it to about 1 or 2 volts at high amps--running that through the copper tip. 

But here's the thing:  you can custom make your own tips, using 10 gauge uninsulated solid copper wire (available at home centers in the electrical department).  You can use 12 gauge too, but these tend to get too hot and burn out quickly.   For lower temperatures, use 8 gauge.  You only need a foot or so, so it's cheap.  Take your iron with you, to make sure it's holders have big enough holes for the wire you choose-- some of the smaller ones only take 10 gauge or less (12, 14 or 16--the higher the gauge, the smaller the diameter). 

Anyway, you can easily bend the wire into loops, or v-notches, or whatever you like.  If you place a length on an anvil, you can hammer it flat, to make knife-shapes too.  Hint:  shape it into a very tight loop--pinch it tight, then hammer it flat.  Copper is very malleable, and easily shaped.

Enjoy!

Opsa

Opsa

Quote from: Darlica on January 28, 2014, 04:48:30 PM
Cool!  ;D

Th'Opsalette made four more last night, and we have arranged them in a circle. It's better than any snowman!

Darlica

Nice! :D
I like the photo with the long shadows.

I prefer to work with hacksaw, drills and knifes when carving ice, I find the combination of electricity and water a little too adventurous for my taste... :o

A blow-dryer might come in handy to help the ice to release the moulds though.

:D
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

roystonoboogie

Quote from: Darlica on January 29, 2014, 07:42:27 PM
I find the combination of electricity and water a little too adventurous for my taste... :o

A blow-dryer might come in handy to help the ice to release the moulds though.

:D
Use a residual current device (RCD). It protects you from any water / electricity interface issues. I play outdoor gigs with a valve (tube) amplifier that generates 600 volts at the anodes. I have thought about this stuff...

Linky.

One of the nicer aspects of that venerable soldering iron?  The volts to the heating element are about 1 or 3 or so-- well below any dangerous levels.  It's quite safe enough, if the outlet it's plugged into is away from the wet stuff.

Bluenose

An alternative, at least for smaller jobs, would be a butane powered soldering iron.  These days that's about the only one I use, albeit for electronic work, because of its portability and independence from the mains power.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Opsa

Below are some shots from last night.

This has become a therapeutic art project.

Opsa

Thankee!

Wouldn't they be cool made HUJE with a BONFIRE in the middle?

Opsa

Today they are melting.

I feel like this is a project is a metaphor for the survivors of a death. The person is missed. The mourners form a circle. Time goes by and slowly they are lessened. A couple more fall. Eventually they will all return to the earth.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Those dusk/night pictures are spooky and awesome!

Next time use those long gloves and they will look like arms coming from the ground.  ;D

Very poetic.

As these melt back into the ground?  So, too, life is a cycle. 

A time-lapse "slideshow" could be something fun to do; a daily photo (same time of day) as they melt could work.  (and be a lot of work too, so maybe not...)

Opsa

I was thinking along similar lines, Bob.

One last one in the series is below.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The one in the top right is doing the 'corna'.  :mrgreen:

Opsa

That would be appropriate for Pieces!

Below is a photo for Darlica of what's on my drawing table. Nothing profound, just me experimenting with rice paper and acrylic.