News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Wind power

Started by Earthling, November 18, 2012, 05:29:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on November 20, 2012, 09:41:31 AM
We have too many people in prison.  Treadmills, generators, free power.

Calories require massive petroleum input, and the human metabolism isn't overly efficient, so you're better off burning CH4. I've done years of environmental work in the oilpatch (aka wiping big oil's arse); conventional gas is better than oil in terms of petroleum-based contamination, but it still isn't pretty. Salt spills remain a major issue with gas, and can screw up the land much more visibly and persistently. Also, much of it is sour and the H2S concentrations can kill you dead on the spot, in Alberta, anyways.
WWDDD?

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Aggie on November 21, 2012, 05:26:11 PM
Calories require massive petroleum input
Unless the tractors, combines, trucks, plus the fertilizer are powered by... wind turbines!
:irony:  :mrgreen:
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Aggie on November 21, 2012, 05:26:11 PMCalories require massive petroleum input,

How did stone-age man get his?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 21, 2012, 08:02:35 PM
Quote from: Aggie on November 21, 2012, 05:26:11 PMCalories require massive petroleum input,

How did stone-age man get his?

By eating the fat-layer of wooly mammoths... of course.  ::)

Later on, man learned to mine the deep-fat deposits from The Fifth Elephant
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on November 21, 2012, 06:06:15 PM
Unless the tractors, combines, trucks, plus the fertilizer are powered by... wind turbines!

The idea is not new. I have read a Reneaissance or late medieval text that described the idea of driving heavy mobile machinery with windpower (imagine your typical Dutch windmill on wheels (which were driven by the sail shaft). If one could pull siege powers into position with them, then they could easily pull the plow too (given the materials of the day, they would have barely been able to move their own weight if at all).
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 19, 2012, 07:21:18 AM
I wonder if people objected to sight of the first castles built on top of hills?

Less to the sight but to what it meant: their ruthless subjugation

Bluenose

Quote from: Swatopluk on November 22, 2012, 01:34:47 AM

The idea is not new. I have read a Reneaissance or late medieval text that described the idea of driving heavy mobile machinery with windpower (imagine your typical Dutch windmill on wheels (which were driven by the sail shaft). If one could pull siege powers into position with them, then they could easily pull the plow too (given the materials of the day, they would have barely been able to move their own weight if at all).

You know, for some reason this reminds of a scene in the Goon Show episode The Great Trans-Africa Aeroplane Canal.  Eccles and Bluebottle had been sent out from England to break a strike by 40,000 British workers digging the canal.  Bluebottle says to Seagoon "Captain, this machine can do the work of two men!"  Seagoon asks them to demonstrate it and Bluebottle replies, "Well, you'll have to help us. because it takes three men to work it..."
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Sibling DavidH

Love the Goons, but sadly I've never heard that one.  Like so many of Milligan's mad jokes, there's a nugget of wisdom in there.

Swatopluk

It's a variation on the old saying that computers help us to solve problems we would not have without them.

Best ways to ruin a company:
1. Gambling - the fastest way
2. Women - the nicest way
3. Computers - the sure-fire way

Quote from: Bluenose on November 22, 2012, 04:16:44 AM
You know, for some reason this reminds of a scene in the Goon Show episode The Great Trans-Africa Aeroplane Canal.  Eccles and Bluebottle had been sent out from England to break a strike by 40,000 British workers digging the canal.  Bluebottle says to Seagoon "Captain, this machine can do the work of two men!"  Seagoon asks them to demonstrate it and Bluebottle replies, "Well, you'll have to help us. because it takes three men to work it..."

Yes, yes it does-- and more to the point?

Those 3 men must be better educated than a mere ditch-digger.  Engineers, even.  As such, they would demand a higher salary too.  Education tends to bring with it a realization that work isn't everything, so they'd also insist on more reasonable working hours as well...

... and so it goes.

:)

Bluenose

Completely aside and for those who love the Goons, the script for the episode in question is here
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Aggie

One of the necessities of truly non-petroleum energy is decent electric construction equipment. There's a lot of diesel necessary to erect any sort of infrastructure.  The fossil fuel burden of something like a hydroelectric dam must be immense, once production of concrete, trucking, digging, pouring etc. are factored in.
WWDDD?

Sibling DavidH

Thanks for the link, Blue!  I've bookmarked it.

Lindorm

Quote from: Aggie on November 23, 2012, 12:07:03 AM

One of the necessities of truly non-petroleum energy is decent electric construction equipment. There's a lot of diesel necessary to erect any sort of infrastructure.  The fossil fuel burden of something like a hydroelectric dam must be immense, once production of concrete, trucking, digging, pouring etc. are factored in.

Yes and no. The initial construction of a hydroelectric dam does consume a lot of fossil fuels, but if you look at it from an LCC perspective, i suspect things change a lot. The Swedish railway network is to a large extent powered by hydroelectrically generated electricity, and I do know that the national rail infrastructure board has looked into these questions to a rather detailed level. I'll see if I can dig up some information in english later.

Meanwhile, what with human-powered springs and all, I suspect that this thread needs a reference to the works of Paolo Bacigalupi:  ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paolo_Bacigalupi

(Actually, his stories set in the "calorie company" universe are both very good reading and very thought-provoking dystopias)
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Interesting Lindorm-- I added his "Windup Girl" to my "books to buy" list.