News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Cool Chair Design

Started by Aggie, November 17, 2012, 08:57:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aggie

http://inhabitat.com/the-rectangline-chair-is-a-simple-geometric-seat-that-doubles-as-a-bookshelf/

Cool reading chair... I wouldn't mind some upholstery, personally, but the base frame is pretty neat.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Roland Deschain

I'd definitely need a lot of upholstery with it too. I tend to go rather numb when sitting on uncomfortable chairs, but that one, coupled with the aforementioned comfort aid, would go down nicely.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

Maybe I should have said: The lovechild of Bauhaus and IKEA

Opsa

I love the book storage under the first one. The sharp corners look a little like they might potentially interfere with circulation, but I'm the sort of person that doesn't sit right on chairs. I'm always sideways or have one leg under my rear, or lean back too far. If the front edge was rounded it would work better for me.

I like the fabric-slung idea (last one). I wonder if the book-chair could be similarly fitted.

Swatopluk

The Meromorph

It's too late...
My Kindle is easy to carry with me, as I move from chair to chair.\
I take 8,000 books with me.

:P  ::)
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

LoL@Mero

I only have 1 book on mine (plus 3 archived).

It weighs less that way ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I love paperless libraries.  As already noted, they take up virtually no room, and you can take your whole collection with you.  I love that; I don't have to decide in advance which book I'll read next.  At last count, I had in excess of 300 Amazon-format books, and another 200+ non-Amazon books on my tablet.  I've read maybe 75-80% of the collection at one point or another.

Lately, I've rediscovered the expensive world of unabridged audio books... just the thing for long drives alone.  Alas, they tend to break the budget at $25 apiece.  So my unabridged audio collection is severely limited.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Those are usually available for lend-out, sometimes electronically over the intertubes.

For long drives, I used to download CBC podcasts. I also had a subscription to the Economist, and the audio format of that newspaper was good for eating up 8 hours a week and for keeping up on the state of the world.
WWDDD?

Roland Deschain

That's a good point, Mero. I love my eReader to bits for that exact reason, but I don't think i'll ever get over the feel of a book in my hands, or the smell of its pages, especially older books (10-20 years plus). I'm quite conflicted between the two, but for holidays i'll always take the eReader, purely for the choice involved. Maybe I should only buy books as first editions, storing them away for posterity, but also purchasing a digital copy for reading. Unfortunately, if I have a digital and a physical copy of a book, my first reaction is to reach for the physical copy. As I said, there's something about the feel and smell of a book that keeps me coming back for more.

On the subject of abridged books, I need to come out and say I detest them. To me, they have no place in this world. If i'm going to read/listen to a book, I want everything in it, not just part of it. I never did get on with Readers' Digest for that exact reason.

Griffin NoName

I have a big issue with the Kindle. Because it does not use proper page numbers, like what's in the real book, it is useless for academic books. I wonder how this will get resolved; surely it must eventually.

:offtopic:
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Roland Deschain

That issue could be solved by keeping the original page numbers, but having more of them. For example, you could have three page 1s, as the amount of text on that page takes up three Kindle pages at the font size you have selected, or you could have a secondary numbering system that uses the same numbers as the original book, yet stores them out of sight until needed. You could even have the option to display either numbering system, or both at the same time. I'm off to patent the idea before Apple get their hands on it like my page turning one.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Roland Deschain on November 19, 2012, 09:44:12 PM
..............or you could have a secondary numbering system that uses the same numbers as the original book,

....and edition! plus they need to add publication details at the front.

Of course, academia could change, instead of the books....... ie. citation: Kindle Version, published in The Cloud, page 98%

Be careful how you word the patent :)
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

LOL! 

I love that:  "page 98%" ... too funny!

Of course, a more accurate method would be to number the paragraphs-- a snap for an eReader, as there's computing power aplenty for such things.  You'd want to keep those hidden, until called for, so as to not disturb the flow.

Another method could be used as well:  use the paper-book page numbers, but use a decimal system for eBook pages, i.e. a paper page 1 would become 1.01, 1.02, 1.03, etc on an eReader device.  If one hundred sub-pages was insufficient?  Use 1.001, 1.002, etc.  (I could see the need for that, if the person reading needed a really large font, due to eyesight issues). 

Feel free to patent this idea too.  ::)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)