News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Why I Love Election Day

Started by Opsa, November 06, 2012, 03:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 07, 2012, 03:30:27 PM
Always bemused by the US's "self-importance" in the speeches - cannot imagine our polliticians ever making speeches like this.

I think that got out of fashion a few decades ago in Britain
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I was quite amused to read the various headlines from the different newsies early this morning-- (I had me a headache about 5am my time, and got up to check).

The middle-of-the-road on-line papers were all about Obama & his win.

The right-wing nutters?  Grudgingly admitted defeat, and praised how "cordial" Mitt the Twitt was in his concession, and went on to whine about how tough Obama's going to have it. 

... meh.

Of course Mitt the super-rich Twitt was cordial:  he gets to keep all his ill gotten campaign riches, and he doesn't have to do any real work again....ever.

There outta be a law that states the looser has to give back whatever's left of his campaign chest to those who contributed, proportionate to what they gave.   If they gave cash, anonymously?  They lose too-- if by some miracle, there's some left over?  That goes back into the US Treasury's general fund to be applied against the deficit.

That would quickly change the tunes of Mr Richy-Rich like Mitt & co.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I heard one sore GOPher loser this morning on the radio saying how 'nasty' Obama had been in the campaign (the 'vote for vengeance' was one reference) as 'opposed' to Zomney. Those b@$t@rds reallly love to play victim and have a very odd sense of justice, but then again, nothing else can be expected from them, if they win by the slimmest margin (remember 2000?) it's a "mandate" but if the other side wins by the same or more margin, it isn't at all. They are so boringly predictable...

At least I know that the guys at The Daily Show & The Colbert Report will make fun of them in the evening.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on November 07, 2012, 05:59:24 PM
I heard one sore GOPher loser this morning on the radio saying how 'nasty' Obama had been in the campaign (the 'vote for vengeance' was one reference) as 'opposed' to Zomney. Those b@$t@rds reallly love to play victim and have a very odd sense of justice, but then again, nothing else can be expected from them, if they win by the slimmest margin (remember 2000?) it's a "mandate" but if the other side wins by the same or more margin, it isn't at all. They are so boringly predictable...

At least I know that the guys at The Daily Show & The Colbert Report will make fun of them in the evening.

I am so looking forward to Jon Stewart's take on all this-- and I may drop by Rachel Maddows' show too.  Just for laughs.

Aggie

Quote from: Opsa on November 07, 2012, 02:36:44 PM
Wow Darlica, I had no idea that our political floppings had much effect on other countries.

Up here, we are almost completely at the mercy of US culture and (lately) politics.  While we remain stubbornly Canadian in many aspects, we are bombarded with USness daily.
WWDDD?

Opsa

:o Oh carp, may I apologize for the entire US to Canada?

We are at the mercy of the European market, though, so it guess it's just a big snorting mess wherever you go.

Mr. Ops says he heard a guy on the radio complaining that the election was won by "greed, vanity, and a sense of entitlement". We both had a good laugh over that comment.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

You would think that some soul searching was required but the moderate republicans either left or were ostracised by the party long ago, and the fringe that is in charge is simply unable to admit that there is something wrong with them. Now the common theme is an expanded 47% (to 50% according to O'Reilly), and they don't get that that was what made them lose in the first place!  :D ;D :mrgreen:

Opsa

I don't think that they necessarily have to admit that there's anything wrong with them, but they ought to accept defeat more gracefully. It is embarrassing even to me to hear them whinging and carrying on like this. And even worse is their threats to throw us off the financial cliff at the end of the year to punish us for not hiring their candidate. Talk about sense of entitlement!

I wish we'd get a real government here that actually accomplishes things to help our country.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The so-called "fiscal cliff" is a paper tiger, yes, it will slow the economy (marginally IMO) but will finally force higher taxes and less military spending, which IMO are necessary. And once the date passes without an agreement most repugs would be more willing to negotiate.

The sad thing is that the military industrial complex has so many interests in the status quo that they will manage to at least keep military spending while everything else is subject to cuts. Even Obama has said that he doesn't want those cuts so I'm very skeptical on the subject.

Swatopluk

Well, the sane minds say that the US should go over that specific cliff since it puts the better cards into Dem hands. If nothing is done, Bush's tax cuts expire and then one does not need a majority to increase but to lower taxes. And this short after the election GOP threats about the next would ring hollow.
Their incentive would be that they do not have to violate Grover's Pledge (which only forbids them to rise taxes). And this time the threat of government shutdown would more likely backfire on them as long as the Dems keep their nerves. There is lot of room for concessions on the Dem side that still would leave the situation better than it is now, so the Dems can 'extend the hand' of compromise (for real or just pretending to make the GOP look bad for refusing). So, from the point of pure tactics: Off the Cliff!
Btw, Congress would have a whole month before anyone had to pay a single cent more of the 'rised' taxes at the end of January.

It ought to be interesting for sure.

Another aspect of irony that I'm enjoying is that Obama had a much stronger majority than Bushy 2 did-- yet Bushy 2 claimed he had a "mandate".  I've no doubt Obama's folk will make the same claim.

If only.  *sigh*

Once of the brighter spots from Tuesday is that all but one of the ugly rape-language ReThugs was ousted.  

(In case the image does not show:

Gov. Mitt Romney: "Let me say it. I'd be delighted to sign that bill [banning all abortions]."

Richard Mourdock, Indianna candidate: "I think that even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something God intended to happen."

Tom Smith, Pensylvania candidate: Thinks having a child out of wedlock is analogous to rape, claiming that it would have a "similar" effect on a father.

Representative Todd Akin: "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

Representative Allen West, Florida Candidate: "We need to let these other women know on the other side of thes Planned Parenthood women, the Code Pink wome, and all of these women that have been neutering American men and bringing us to the point of this incredible weakness to let them know that we are not going to become subservient."

.... meh)

All ousted on Tuesday.

Darlica

Quote from: Opsa on November 08, 2012, 02:19:55 PM

We are at the mercy of the European market, though, so it guess it's just a big snorting mess wherever you go.

Well that is one double-edged blade as we are at the mercy of the American and Asian markets... For example, our steel industry is on it's knees because we have no one to export to due to the state of the world economy.
Actually most of our industries that depend on exporting something is suffering right know which means lay-offs and lost jobs in a lot of bordering industries as well like logistics and transportation, manufacturing of packing materials, you all know how the rest of the chain reaction looks...
(This applies to Sweden The rest on Europe isn't exactly booming either...)

It's not one Economical market VS another, that's just bull****, It was true up till let's say 30 0r 40 years ago but now. Since the 70''s the economy has become more and more global just as "the market" wanted it to be. It's a now monster that creates synergy effects 1+1 not equals 2 but 3 or more. It's all dandy when it spirals us all towards a boom not so great when it has turned and heading for a crash. Who runs it? Well it's not you and I, that I'm sure of.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Darlica on November 08, 2012, 03:24:50 PM
Quote from: Opsa on November 08, 2012, 02:19:55 PM

Well that is one double-edged blade as we are at the mercy of the American and Asian markets...

True here too. And not just economically. One of our hospitals is tryiing to change their drug leaflets into American spelling  :o :'( :'( :'(

QuoteRepresentative Todd Akin: "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

I find it really really hard to believe he actually said this? Does anyone know what he can have been basing the statement on? I mean, where does one get such ideas from?

We repeatedly had a news interview (US) with a republican voter who said he was disgusted with what had been going on for the last four years. It was actuallly quite painful to watch/hear. Do people really think, for example, that it is disgusting for poor people to have health care?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Akin claimed a doctor told him

Opsa

Quote from: Griffin NoName on November 08, 2012, 08:16:24 PM

True here too. And not just economically. One of our hospitals is tryiing to change their drug leaflets into American spelling  :o :'( :'( :'(

So they're changing all the 'arses' to 'asses'?  ::)