News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Consumer goods-- "white" goods

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, October 10, 2012, 01:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

When did "white goods" (sheets, towels, etc) become so outrageously expensive?  For even the cheap stuff?

My long-lasting waterbed sheets have finally gone the distance-- I had two sets, and one is already retired for cloth-rags, and the last, working one is soon to follow.

Now, I knew that finding them locally is problematic, as waterbeds have been relegated to on-line only shopping.   But I figured I'd buy pair of top-sheets only and "roll my own" as it were-- I can sew triangles to the corners, and the top to the bottom as easily as anyone else can.

But lordy-lordy, the prices have gone through the roof!   I looked on-line for quality sheets and was dismayed to find I'd need to shell out $60-80 for a single set of waterbed sheets for the bed!  What?   I found some cheaper, but the reviews all complained about how thin and cheap they were.... from Amazon....!!! (I usually expect quite a discount from them or their vendors).

Seriously, I had rather expected to pay $20 or so for a single flat sheet -- but first, almost nobody will sell you a single flat sheet-- they now come in sets only:  flat, fitted bottom, a pair of pillow-cases.   For way, way too much $$ for the quality of the fabric.

I did locate individual flat sheets at Bed Bath & Beyond your budget "on sale" for $100 per each.... whaaaaa?

I almost asked the salesperson if, at that price, they came with a butler to put them on the bed for you?  No?  Hmmmm....

So, back to Amazon, where I can get allegedly 1200-count all Egyptian cotton (a type of cotton, not a place of manufacture I have now learned) for about $80-100, allegedly "American Made" too.   A full set (top sewn to bottom, bottom with corner-pockets), including two pillow-covers.  And, from what I found out in retail, that's not a bad deal at all.

Dayum.   I paid less than $40 for both my current sets, and it wasn't all that long ago.....?  (or maybe it was... time flies... let's see-- when did I get those, actually?  In the early 90's?  And it's 2012?  So... 20 years of daily use?  Oh-kaaay... that's a pretty good bargain right there.....)

But an inflation rate of, what?   $20 --> $100?   Over only 20 years?  That is quite a lot, actually....

... my, how times have changed. 

If I could afford it, I'd buy 4 sets this time-- leave 2 sets unopened, and re-sell them in 20 years on EBay and make a fortune..... <snerk>
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Would be 8.37% yearly inflation, if I calculated correctly.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Steal 4 dishdashes from a group of passing Arabs, boil and wash thoroughly 6 times then remove your gas-mask and gloves and sew them into shape.

Quote from: Swatopluk on October 10, 2012, 01:46:39 PM
Would be 8.37% yearly inflation, if I calculated correctly.

Well, when you put it that way, it's not that unreasonable ... meh.

Griffin NoName

White goods in the UK means kitchen appliances, eg. washing machine, dishwasher etc. Maybe they muddled the prices up with these items?  ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Quote from: Griffin NoName on October 10, 2012, 03:55:16 PM
White goods in the UK means kitchen appliances, eg. washing machine, dishwasher etc. Maybe they muddled the prices up with these items?  ;)

Same here (Weiße Ware)

I may be wrong... but it made sense to me at the time.... as sheets used to be exclusively white...  :shrug:

Swatopluk

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on October 10, 2012, 08:14:02 PM
I may be wrong... but it made sense to me at the time.... as sheets used to be exclusively white...  :shrug:

That would be Weißzeug.
But white only is a thing of the past there too

Opsa

Here we call them "linens".

Everything has leapt in price in the past two years. There are ways around it, though. Try going to a discount store or checking out the clearance linens. You can sometimes find decent deals there. You can also try thrift shops- sometimes there are sheets there that are still in their original packing.

I was in a Kmart today and saw a whole set of King sized flannel sheets for $29. I use king sized sheets on my extra tall queen mattress. The deep queen sized sheets are outrageously expensive, but a little extra tucking and a lesser priced king fitted sheet works just fine.

Swatopluk

Linnen is an old term here too but strictly spoken it is wrong these days since it is no longer flax fibre but almost always cotton.

Griffin NoName

Yes, linen here too. Though even as a child it was actually made of cotton - Egyptian cotton.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

What was it made of when it grew up?

I also thought that white goods were kitchen appliances.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

The last sets we got were from Target, on discount ~$40 IIRC, but you can go crazy with those and indeed the prices have come up, although I perceive them as 'expensive' for at least the last 10-15 years.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

Aggie

If you want thread count, you'll pay for it. I'd consider anything >400 tc and <$50 to be a fair deal.  Flannelette and the like are usually more reasonable.

At these prices, I don't usually keep a backup set of sheets.
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

I need a flat polycotton kingsize sheet - the ones that match my exisiting linen are £16 each. Not too bad.
Psychic Hotline Host

Update:

I found a local retailer who sells waterbed sheet-sets.   They were reasonably priced, quality fabric-- and best yet?  He had a 2-for-1 sale, so I got two complete sets for the price of one.

I was prepared to pay as much as $100 for quality-- and nearly did purchase on-line.  But I decided with that high a budget, I ought to give the local merchants a chance.  I'm glad I did.  It's cotton/polyester blend, so it'll last, while feeling quite comfortable on the skin.  

The salesman was nice-- and cautioned me to wash these before use, as they ship with a kind of starch or sizing in them to make them nice for the package, washing removes that and softens the fabric.  

I like darker colors, so I got hunter green and chocolate brown (they were out of burgundy, my first choice, and also of royal blue, my second).

I nearly shelled out for a satin set-- he had one left (also on sale).  But I chickened out, and stuck with what I know (cotton/poly).   Oh, I paid $60 for two complete sets.  Not bad.

Griffin NoName

mmmmm satin sheets ...mmmmm I just ordered the polycotton sheets I need, shame. I like dark colours too. They don't show the stains from messy meals in bed. (although they do show other stains, that is not a consideration for me LoL)
Psychic Hotline Host