News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

A Question of Ethics

Started by Griffin NoName, August 21, 2012, 08:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on September 16, 2012, 08:17:53 AM
A cockroach is insentient-- it moves strictly based on a short list of stimulus-response engines.  But a dog is not; a dog can be sad, happy, curious, inquisitive, bored, lonely, content-- the same sorts of things a human can be, come to think of it.

Assuming that you are right and that cokcroaches do not experience curiosity, inquisitiveness, exactly how would you detect they do not experience sadness, happiness, boredom, lonliness or contentment? Personally I find cockroaches particularly hard to read.  ;)

Quote from: Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith on September 16, 2012, 08:17:53 AMBut a cockroach will never stroll across the kitchen floor because it's curious about what's on the other side of the room.

I don't know. Surely they might. How the hell do we know what goes through their minds?

Amd, no, I don't think it matters if we are only virtual. Except it would be nice to know in terms of experiencing nasty things.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

There's nothing but the present, more so if we are simulated. ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.