News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Stuart

Started by Griffin NoName, August 20, 2012, 06:04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

American Stuart, a Life Lived Backwards

UK Stuart, a Life Lived Backwards

Essentially a documentary. Best description of Borderline Personality Disorder I've ever come across, demonstrated by the desciptions of Stuart's life and conversation. Excellent on homelessness. A really explorative book which manages to pin down areas of society which are normally elusive. Set in areas I know well, hostels I know, even the odd character I have actually come across, and a political/criminal case involving local people which was a real live issue amongst us towndwellers. Somehow despite the rather grim main topics, this book manages to keep one chuckling, but is no less forceful because of this. I did live in the next road to the main hostel, so no surprise I was keen to read this book, but nonetheless, I recommend it.

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Roland Deschain

Reading some of the reviews there, it sounds very intriguing. To see what someone is now; someone you'd most likely not empathise wit; then to go slowly back in time to the child they once were, will probably make some feel uncomfortable with how they treat the homeless and the mentally ill. People can be so quick to dismiss those in the same situation, especially those committing crimes because of illness, as being worthless, and I have definitely been one of them in the past, but if you knew the person behind that, and how they got to that stage, you would maybe change your mind.

A book to instil a little compassion, maybe. Thanks for the recommendation, Griffin. I'll stick it on my to-read list, and get to it some time soon.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Griffin NoName

I have become more tolerant over some things as I have learnt things along the way. On the other hand I think I have become less tolerant on some other things. For example, we pretty much had open house for years and years, nearly always extra people staying/living with us. It was great. But now I can't even imagine sharing my home even with one other person!
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand