News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Easy Questions?

Started by Swatopluk, November 15, 2006, 03:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beagle

1  You're not plugged into the external aerial you think you are.

2  You have such a good TV/signal strength area that any old bit of wire out the back of the telly will work. Clue, can you touch Crystal Palace or Alexandra Palace from your balcony?

3  Whoever told you the roof aerial was unplugged lied (See under Miss Marple "You shouldn't believe what people say, it's very dangerous. I never have for years").

4 Quantum effect. Can you be on your roof and in your living room at the same time? I thought not; One of your measurements is assumed.

5 We're all in some big computer simulation and you've spotted the trivial coding error that reveals it. Panic.
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

Do any of your answers come with a guarantee?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

beagle

Did any of your questions come with a payment?
The angels have the phone box

Griffin NoName

They may have done if there was a guaranteed answer ;D
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Griffin NoName

Why does burning a candle when smoking a cigarette make the smell/smoke more toerlable for non-smokers?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

Same reason a candle or match is the loo helps with that odor. It burns the gases that are objectionable and cause the sensation of 'stink'. Minus those gases in the air, less smell!!
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

...it also seems to remove the smoke....how?
Psychic Hotline Host

The Meromorph

It burns it...
Smoke is a product of incomplete combustion. Burning it again, in the candle flame, produces much more complete combustion. Even though the candle flame does incomplete combustion on the carbon in the wax...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Aggie

Try beeswax then.... higher combustion temperature, nice odour.

WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

I always thought the trick was to smoke the wicked stick cancer over the candle, but friends tell me you just need to be sort of near a candle..... so following Mero's statement, how does the smoke get attracted to the candle from a distance in order to be combusted?  Intelligent Smoke?
Psychic Hotline Host

The Meromorph

The smoke is relatively heavy so tends to hang in mid-air. The candle flame is a convection engine and generates air currents circulating in the room. (This is why scented candles scent the whole room).  :)
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

Quote from: The Meromorph on March 26, 2009, 12:54:58 AM
(This is why scented candles scent the whole room).  :)

Unfortunately not the cheap ones ;) ;)
Psychic Hotline Host

Griffin NoName

My finger got squashed in a door about two months ago. It was really bad and nasty cuts on both sides of the finger. Yuk mangled and lots of blood and deep cuts. They cleaned it up and so on but it didn't really healing propely. After about a month I realised there were splinters from the door frame in the cuts but very deep inside. Because I was too ill to go anywhere I did nothing about it (they were too deep for me to fish out) except swab it with loads of antiseptic.

Eventually it all started healing over but continued to hurt if I touched the points where the splinters were underneath.

Now it is completely healed and doesn't seem to hurt.

Today I told my GP about it expecting to be told to forget it. Instead I've been prescribed Magnesium Sulphate paste to draw the splinters out. I was surprised as it is completely healed over so this seems like magic. Reading up on the internet it seems Magnesium Sulphate paste can even be used to extract pace-makers.

Is this really true? 

How? 

Will my finger start hurting again?
Psychic Hotline Host

Sibling Chatty

Used it to draw out a broken-off half toothpick in my toe years ago, and it didn't hurt, just sorta popped up and I pulled it out.

(It was also used to pull broom handle splinters out of my back 30+ years after the fact, and didn't hurt then either, only itched.)

It's magic. There are little gremlins, of 2 kinds, the Mags and the Sulps, and they take turns sneaking the splinters past the nerve endings. They're really good at sneaking stuff, so you never know that it MIGHT have hurt, but didn't.

Isn't science fascinating?
This sig area under construction.

Griffin NoName

That just amazes me !!  (hmmm need to rethink Science and G-d :irony:)

How long does it take?  Broad brush - unless you are magic at counting days :giggle: 
Psychic Hotline Host