News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Vacuum cleaner rant

Started by Sibling DavidH, June 30, 2012, 12:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling DavidH

This morning the vacuum cleaner stopped working.  Turned out the rubber belt was worn and stretched.  So I took out a horrendous number of awkward screws, opened it up and fitted our spare belt.  Quick clean-up and reassemble.

Wendy used it for literally 20 seconds before jamming a chair drape in the roller.  There was a strong smell of burning rubber and the new belt burned through.  We have no spare now.  So I stripped the whole *-!$&%**@ thing out again and refitted the old belt.  It may last one or two sessions.

:taz: :headbang: :stick: :caveman:

Griffin NoName

Key question - can you still get spare belts for that model?
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Oh, yes, but not till Monday and then I have to go into town.

Griffin NoName

Ok, so not a calamity, more of an infernal nuisance
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling DavidH

Agreed, but the rant is because a new belt, medium hard to fit, lasted just a few seconds. Plus I'll still have to take it apart once more when I get a new belt. >:(

Griffin NoName

I've given up using my hoover as it just gets clogged up with hair if I use it!
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

This is why I was ecstatic to see a Dyson vacuum in a yard sale-- $25 (for a $400 vac?  Youbetcha).

No bags.  No belts.  Nothing to replace--ever.  Two sponge filters that must be cleaned annually (I do not vacuum much).  A dirt-bin that has to be emptied.  That's it, for maintenance. 

And yes, I have a spare Dyson (an older model) also a yard-sale...
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling DavidH

Roland Deschain

I'm sorry to hear of your vacuum cleaner related atrocities, David. A Dyson would indeed be far better. I've had Dysons since around the time they first came out, and not once had an issue with them. There are many different models you can try out, from the traditional upright ones, to mini handheld affairs (with or without long suction tubes), and lots inbetween. They're worth their weight in bronze (gold would be going too far).
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Opsa

Vacuum cleaners SUCK!  ::)

Each one I've had in my adult life has been more expensive and less satisfying as a cleaning tool than its predecessor.

I too, have been tempted by the Dyson style cleaners. But I vacuum once a week, plus I have oriental carpets on hardwood floors. Do they do a good job with those? (We briefly had a Dirt Devil which quickly tore the fringe off one of the carpets. Spawn of Satan be gone!)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Quote from: Opsa on July 03, 2012, 08:19:58 PM
Each one I've had in my adult life has been more expensive and less satisfying as a cleaning tool than its predecessor.
Our main vacuum cleaner at home is a Roomba, it isn't as powerful as many others, you have to plan (and remove cables, etc) before starting, you have to empty the bin every time, and clean up the brushes about one in ten uses.

But it does the job by itself!!!!!
:mrgreen: :P :D ;)
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

The Meromorph

Quote from: Opsa on July 03, 2012, 08:19:58 PM
Vacuum cleaners SUCK!  ::)

I too, have been tempted by the Dyson style cleaners. But I vacuum once a week, plus I have oriental carpets on hardwood floors. Do they do a good job with those? (We briefly had a Dirt Devil which quickly tore the fringe off one of the carpets. Spawn of Satan be gone!)

We had 3 different models of Kirby over a 20 year span, now those are expensive. ::) They were good but when we got to three big dogs and two cats, they couldn't cope with the pet hair.
We bought a Dyson 7 Animal about 10 years ago. Currently we get 3 - 4 Dysons-full, mostly dog hair, a week out of the areas the dogs go, sometimes more...  :o
I've been tempted to replace it with a Dyson Ball Animal, but it still works just as well as always.
It's streets better than any other vacuum cleaner. We had oriental carpets on hardwood floors for about two years, the Dyson worked fine on them, but two aged/dying cats pissing on them killed them.
Dances with Motorcycles.

Griffin NoName

OH Mero, I see Vaccuum Cleaners has brought you out from your nest!!!

I have a German vac. can't remember the name. It's quite friendly except for the hair issues. Not using it cures that.
Psychic Hotline Host

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Quote from: The Meromorph on July 03, 2012, 10:01:17 PM
... I've been tempted to replace it with a Dyson Ball Animal, but it still works just as well as always.

My main Dyson is the yellow ball-- the little one.  I love it's compact size, it's light weight and the fact that it not only sucks-- it keeps right on sucking until the bin is full.

My backup Dyson is one of the original models, and side-by-side, the original is much harder to maneuver than the ball.   It sucks just as well, but it's bigger, heavier and harder to steer into corners and around stuff.   It's great for large, mostly-open spaces, though-- the bin is bigger (goes longer before needing an empty).   The little 25 has a smaller bin, and if you're picking up lots of debris, it needs emptying more frequently.

If either of these go south, and I cannot get parts or another to sacrifice parts for them?  I'll reluctantly buy a new ball-- probably the animal, as it has a nice motorized brush-head included.  Buying that (head) separate costs more than getting the animal model up-front.

Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling DavidH

I'm off into town in a moment to get a new belt and a filter.  If the roller doesn't get jammed by being wrapped round a drape, the thing should work well for several months without giving trouble.