News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

This one, I must share.

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, March 17, 2012, 02:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I read a novel based on exactly that-- bioengineered tree-houses, complete with organic toilets (which helped the tree's nutrition).

I've been trying to re-locate the book, but I haven't been successful-- I read it years and years ago.

Quote from: Swatopluk on March 25, 2012, 11:51:58 PM
They did it on ALBION :mrgreen:
http://www.oldschoolapps.com/downloads/roleplaying-games/79-game-albion

Me likey!  I may have to give that one a try...  ;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Looks like something that's right up my alley.... thanks Swato.

On a practical basis, I believe one could produce an actual tree-microhouse with very little technology in a rather short amount of time. What you'd need is a very large willow or similar tree (preferably with recent damage that would necessitate cutbacks) with a large-diameter trunk.  The tree would be cut down near the base of the trunk, causing vigorous new growth from the stump (similar to how coppicing is done; the tree has huge roots and no top, so the roots support rapid regrowth). Now, willow is very flexible, so it should be possible to select and weave the new shoots into a dome-like structure as they grow, pruning anything that protrudes inside.  The shoots would likely grow together as they thickened, making a huge living dome.

This wouldn't be waterproof, but it would be structurally sound and allow one to hang a liner or build an inner wall to keep out the weather. Even without a liner (just a constructed elevated floor), it'd be cool and shady in the summer, and would be a pleasant dayhouse.

A tree bog would be no problem for this kind of setup, although you may want to position in a semi-separated outbuilding near the feeding zone of the roots.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Albion is originally German. Not sure how well done the translation into English is.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

^ He uses saplings but I somehow suspect that those are uprooted, so while impressive are not alive, as opposed to the trees Bob posted, those remind me the constructions of the elves in LOTR, and considering the inordinate amount of time required to make them it would make sense.

Perhaps some really fast growing trees may work, and after about 20 years of work you could have a living house.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

Willow tends to root out easily in moist conditions, so I suspect that over a season or two a good proportion (but probably not all) of the saplings could become permanently established if one used a similar technique; I agree that most of the photos shown look more like fancy wickerwork than actual living structures.
WWDDD?

Roland Deschain

Those are really cool. You'd definitely want a fast-growing tree to do that, but I wouldn't recommend the giant redwood... ;) Saying that, a generational project would be interesting on the redwood.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: BobI read a novel based on exactly that-- bioengineered tree-houses, complete with organic toilets (which helped the tree's nutrition).

I've been trying to re-locate the book, but I haven't been successful-- I read it years and years ago.

I think you may mean The Houses of Iszm, by my favourite SF author Jack Vance.  Not his best - a fairly early work (1954).

Quote from: Sibling DavidH on March 31, 2012, 09:41:12 AM
Quote from: BobI read a novel based on exactly that-- bioengineered tree-houses, complete with organic toilets (which helped the tree's nutrition).

I think you may mean The Houses of Iszm, by my favourite SF author Jack Vance.  Not his best - a fairly early work (1954).

No, I do not mean that one-- as I remember Vance-- the author I'm thinking of, was obscure, and only wrote a very few (maybe even only the one) novel.

But thanks for the tip!

:D