News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Fishkeeping Enthusiasts

Started by Roland Deschain, February 27, 2012, 02:42:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Deschain

Bluenose, there are a large number of Nymphoides sp. available in Europe and the US that are more than hardy enough for the winters even Scotland gets, as they begin to go dormant in our Autumn, die back, then start to grow come Spring. The only issue is moving water.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

pieces o nine

Thanks, sibs!  I had suggested changing to hardy goldfish, which was initially rejected.

* does secret, joyous victory lap around living room *

There are new filters and pumps; something new for a fountain feature that malfunctioned last year. Also she's pulled out the plants that dropped foliage onto the water surface in the past, so that the no-shedding shade plants can grow, and removed from the perimeter a few buckets of the small white rocks so loved by amateur landscapers here (a very few uncivilized/unsupervised child units were throwing them at the koi and causing damage last summer). Currently just the one remaining koi, who (which?) successfully made the transition to the pond again last weekend.

Neighbors have informed us that herds of unemployed deer are running amok in the streets at night again, slurping koi water. (In all honesty, I always think this is funny, but it seems to crank some people right off!)

Thank you again!  I'll pass on your suggestions and post pics when it starts looking nicer.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Roland Deschain

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 01, 2012, 10:37:44 PM
Thanks, sibs!  I had suggested changing to hardy goldfish, which was initially rejected.

* does secret, joyous victory lap around living room *
No problem. I'm glad you've won a small victory.

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 01, 2012, 10:37:44 PM...removed from the perimeter a few buckets of the small white rocks so loved by amateur landscapers here (a very few uncivilized/unsupervised child units were throwing them at the koi and causing damage last summer)...

Thank you again!  I'll pass on your suggestions and post pics when it starts looking nicer.
On the unsupervised child units, throws rocks at them too. They'll soon get the picture, and you'll be ultra popular in the neighbourhood to boot! ;)

Looking forward to more pics.

Quote from: pieces o nine on April 01, 2012, 10:37:44 PMNeighbours have informed us that herds of unemployed deer are running amok in the streets at night again, slurping koi water. (In all honesty, I always think this is funny, but it seems to crank some people right off!).
I think it's pretty cool. You should work on encouraging them to hang around for longer. I bet they'd love that...

This is what happens when you build on land once used by animals. If you don't like it, just batten down the hatches. It's like continuing to live in tornado country after you've been devastated by one, then complaining when you get hit again. You can't say nature didn't warn you the first time.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers