News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Minimalist wood stove-- Finnish by design

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, January 11, 2012, 06:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

The whole thing here:

http://thechive.com/2012/01/11/a-finnish-stove-is-all-the-rage-inwell-finland-12-photos/

First few photos, from the sequence:

Begin with log, 1 each

Cut slots as shown.  Chainsaw optional.

Stuff with things that burn easily.

Don't forget the wick-- now light the burnables and wait a bit.

wait for it...

Bacon.... mmmmmmm.....

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Aggie

Nice and simple, provides its own pan-stand and air vents. :)

Reminds me a bit of the pressed-charcoal cakes used in some parts of Asia...  basically a large charcoal block with cylindrical holes in it.

I've wondered about burning out the interior of a log to create a drum shell by boring a hole through the middle then setting fire up the middle. Might work, if carefully observed.
WWDDD?

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Certainly dugout canoes have been created by burning methods-- you can keep the outer layer(s) of wood very wet with clay, wet sponge-like material, wet hides--what have you.

I see no reason why a log tube could not also be burnt-- green wood would be a better choice, though, as the inner bark on mature trees is already essentially dead, and dryer than the outer, still living layers.
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Darlica

That's a Nordic classic!  ;D

If you have a smaller log do fewer cuts, a minimum diameter of the log should be about 12 cm/5 inch. Pine and fir are the best, the more resin the better. When you've done this enough times you'll know exactly how small/big a log needs to be for a one meal fire etc. much like the charcoal cakes.

:)
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Lindorm

It's a bit strange, though... Back in the days not so long ago when Sweden had compulsory national service, most all males were thaught how to make one of these, either during their national service period or by someone who had done their national service. Normally, you can make one with simply a knife or your entrenching tool and another piece of wood to use as a wedge.

Nowadays, with a so-called professional army and conscription abolished, young Swedish males go on YouTube and look at videos of professed ex-US marine corps or special commando Ninja heaps of muscle who make these "Nordic Viking XXXtreme Fire Torches!!!11!" with chainsaws, special tools and safety googles.

It says something very post-modern about our day and age, I am sure, but I am not so sure what exactly.

Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)

Sibling DavidH

I've never seen that before.  Very clever.  Maybe it didn't start up here because we  had so few conifers, until these modern plantations spread everywhere.

Lindorm

You can use non-resinous wood, too, it's just a bit more fiddly to set on fire. A piece of dry birch would probably work all right, and if you manage to light a piece of beech, you will probably get heat enough to almost melt your frying pan.
Der Eisenbahner lebt von seinem kärglichen Gehalt sowie von der durch nichts zu erschütternden Überzeugung, daß es ohne ihn im Betriebe nicht gehe.
K.Tucholsky (1930)