News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

For Swato and other HP fans

Started by Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith, March 05, 2011, 06:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

A buddy of mine sent me this link:

http://www.tor.com/blogs/2011/03/lovecraft-favorite-words-free-ebook

If anyone is interested in the complete works of HP Lovecraft in eBook form, complete with a working index?

Follow the link, and it'll direct you-- ePub and Mobi editions are both available, according to the bit.

Now, I must warn:  anyone following this up, and later discovering that they are growing tentacles? 

Don't blame me...

;D
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Roland Deschain

I can't believe nobody else appears interested in HP Lovecraft. He is one of my favourite authors, and I love reading anything about the Cthulhu mythos, although his other books are equally as fascinating. The worlds he draws are so very dark if read correctly, and draw you in, almost as if there were tentacles pulling you towards the words themselves. He was certainly different from many other authors of his day, and had (as previously mentioned) a dark side to him.

I have his complete works already, so the link is not of much use to me unfortunately, but I highly recommend everyone else to try out some of his books. I'd recommend The Mountains of Madness and The Call of Cthulhu to begin with, as they'll give you a taster of his style. If you use a search engine to find films based on his books, you'll be surprised at the sheer number that exist, and probably many you've already seen.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

Unfortunately most allegedly Lovecraft based movies are trash (often quite expensive trash but nonetheless). The really good ones tend to be rather obscure.
And there are some good ones using Lovecraftian themes but with no formal connection. 'Alien' is the prime example. The story grew from Dark Star, Planet of the Vampires and possibly a Russian flick that reached the US in a severely mutilated form (OT iirc Queen of Blood). The direct Lovecraft influence came through Giger but he was called because the plot already had the vibes despite not being taken directly from any Lovecraft story. Btw, HPL would have disapproved of the film because a) a positive female lead and b) nudity.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

I also downloaded a Complete Works of HP Lovecraft at Christmas.  77 pence from Amazon, but I wish I'd found the free one first!
Haven't started reading it yet.

Roland Deschain

I hope you enjoy it, David. For 70p, you really cannot go wrong. They're worth 100 times that.

Swato, i've loved or liked every film i've seen that I knew was based on HPL's books, although some more than others. I'll start a thread over in the film section on this, as I believe it needs some serious discussion, lol.
"I love cheese" - Buffy Summers

Swatopluk

About the most recent addition to the movie list is The Whisperer in Darkness, the latest strike from the HPLHS available either at cthulhulives.org or at Arkham Bazaar.
Highly recommended!
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.