News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Movie rules/cliches game

Started by Swatopluk, November 02, 2006, 11:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

We all are accustomed to certain convention and/or cliches in movies.
This game's aim is to collect them in the form of "rules".

e.g.:

The probability of the hero to be hit by a shot from the bad guys is inversely proportional to the number of bad guys shooting at the hero.
i.e.: the hero is perfectly safe, when a whole army is firing at him/her, a single opponent on the other hand might be quite dangerous.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

beagle

Some that occur to me:

Never, ever, talk about the farm you are going to buy after the war.

Remember that as a film character you are able to hail a taxi instantly, even in the middle of nowhere.

If your character has a Russian, German or British accent (or a moustache) you are the baddy; make your excuses and leave two thirds of the way through the film, while you're ahead.

Never bother packing your rifle. A small hand gun will do nicely up to a range of two hundred yards (as long as you're the goody).

If you're the baddy ensure that your secret headquarters' air conditioning ducts are no wider than a small rat. Do not label the self-destruct button or waste time gloating before dispatching the hero by the simplest and quickest means possible.

If you're a teenager in a slasher movie under no circumstances have sex/take drugs/explore the basement on your own. These risk factors combine multiplicatively.

When you arrive on a new planet under no circumstances go up to the nearest strange plant, stick your nose in it and say "hey this cute".

If you're the hero in a war film try and remember that surviving and winning the war get you no points compared to getting the girl; regard the war as an irritating background noise to your rivalry with the other suitors.

The angels have the phone box

Swatopluk

Keep away from Luger (Pistole 08 Parabellum) pistols. They are cursed.
If you don't get rid of them fast, you'll be killed.

Black Bart

If you are a soldier guarding an outpost or a trench, never say to your comrade:
'hey would you like to see this photo of my wife and kids?'
She was only the Lighthouse Keeper's daughter, but she never went out at night

Sibling Lambicus the Toluous

- seven seconds after you think you killed the monster, it will attack you.

- all police officers are shot on the last day before their retirement.

- wounds heal near-instantaneously, unless central to the plot.

- a police officer being shot on the last day before retirement is always central to the plot.

Swatopluk

If there is a little child with a pet dog you are safe in its vicinity.
Important exeptions:
1.Alfred Hitchcock directs the film (then you will be blown up in a few moments.
2.The bad guys are commies. Then you are only save until they shoot the dog.

- automobiles are impenetrable to bullets when a good guy is hiding behind one

- automobiles will explode with a single shot once the good guy runs away from one, or when one is shot at by the good guy

Bluenose

You can jump off a moving train or out of a moving car without any risk of persnal harm.

All automatic weapons used by heros have special magazines that allow the user to fire for up to three of four minutes at a time before needing to be replaced instead of the usual three seconds for everyday guns.

The hero's magazine will only ever need to be replaced during a lull in the shooting and when he/she is safely behind a bulletproof solid object.

A desk is a bulletproof solid object.

Hero clothes dry instantly after immersion in water.

The heroine's hair is always perfect when she wakes up in the morning.
Myers Briggs personality type: ENTP -  "Inventor". Enthusiastic interest in everything and always sensitive to possibilities. Non-conformist and innovative. 3.2% of the total population.

Swatopluk

The bad guy is the one with the obnoxious pet (white poodle or cat preferred).

Depending on the age of the film the murderer is either the butler or the law enforcemnet guy.

In Italy the local chief of police is also the head of the local mafia
(similar in American film noirs)

goat starer

eating, sleeping and going to the toilet are not for the likes of the action hero.
----------------------------------

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara
:goatflag:

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

Swatopluk

A society has to decide, whether it wants to have intelligent robots or working automatic weapon targeting systems. As uncounted SF films prove, most societies choose the former. (Therefore we will probably never have intelligent robots).

In spacecrafts the vector of gravity is always at right angles to the vector of thrust except in chase scenes when the scoundrel hero stands next to the snob lady.

All alien species fall into one of two categories:
- those that will try to eat humans
- those that humans can successfully mate with

goat starer

All humans fall into two categories. Those that shoot aliens and those that mate with them (except captain kirk who will do both)

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

"And the Goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a Land not inhabited"

beagle

A surprisingly high proportion of aliens have English as their first language.

If an alien speaks English with a British accent, then he/she/it is evil.

beagle

If seeking employment as Bond's driver/assistant/love interest then don't bother asking about the pension scheme.

Swatopluk

In fantasy and martial art movies the bad guys attack the hero in single file so (s)he can dispatch of them one after the other.

Bad guys that are masters with the revolver can't count to six. Ask them to demonstarte their mastership until they have fired their last bullet, then you can attack them easily. Warning: there have been 7-shooters spotted in some parts of the West.

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

- If you are a villain; never, *never* monologue.

- Concerning Star Trek; should you be an ensign, and wearing the red uniform; you *will* be chosen for the first excursion onto the new planet and killed.

- The leading lady sleeps with makeup on and it never smears.

- People can manage to have sex with the bedsheets wrapped around in between them.

- Cartoon charecters are safe while walking on air, until they look down.  Then they're screwed.
Insanity takes it's toll; please have correct change.

Swatopluk

Movie bedsheets have to be asymmetric, covering the female upper body but not the male.

Sibling Chatty

R rated movie baths have multiple areas on which to place innumerable candles, as well as room for a champagne cooler and 2 wineglasses, no matter how small the apartment or home.

There are multiple discreet mirrors as well, although these are not apparent during non-candlelit bathing scenes.
This sig area under construction.

Swatopluk

Time bombs can't be defused until a few seconds before explosions, so don't bother before it's down to about 20.

If you are the good guy, it does not matter how many people you kill and how much property you destroy.

In the middle of nowhere there are only two types of objects likely to fall down on you: pianos and anvils.

There is a sure way to guarantee the repetition of an unlikely event:
saying "...this can't happen again..."

DeadPoet

Candles and torches inside old dungeons, crypts, temples or pyramid can burn for thousands of years. The air remains breathable.

Swatopluk

Slight correction. There is a tomb/dungeon maintenance staff (mummies?) changing the torches on a regular schedule.

If you shout at the top of your lungs, nobody will hear you but if you whisper something important, someone (wrong) will.

In SciFi movies Aristotelean physics rules.

DeadPoet

Talking about Sci-Fi movies, even the smallest guns provide enough energy for endless high-energy laser-blasts.

Swatopluk

Unfortunately the speed of light is reduced so radically that it is easily possible to make evasive maneuvers.

If you are not sure, whether somebody is a bad guy or a good guy, look for the color his laser weapon/ray gun produces.

Regardless of the blaster's power to melt everything down, it will not penetrate the outer hull of the ship from the inside.

In outer space there is a speed limit far below the speed of light.

goat starer

sharks eat boats

oilrigs are invariably a front for evil organisations

If someone calls you senor frisk him for weapons

Best regards

Comrade Goatvara

The Black Spot

The madman with the hatchet will always murder each victim in a new, inventive fashion.

Swatopluk

If you are a private eye: Never trust the beautiful and mysterious female client.

To run a hearse you must be either a ham, a mafioso or a necronerd

rumblemonk

Swatopluk

Check the color of your hat to determine whether you are a good or a bad guy. Therefore always carry enough whitewash and soot with you to change the color in a hurry.

Black Bart

When a nice young Jedi is going over to the Dark side, his eyes turn red but none of the other Jedi notice. They probably just think he's got a contact lense problem!

Swatopluk

The colder the climate the less clothing the barbarians wear.

Fur bras are fashionable independently of climate in the stone age

There are dinosaurs in the stone age

Black Bart

You were almost certain to meet Raquel Welch in the stoneage!

Swatopluk

Did we have the one about the secret society of large mirror carriers already (always walking rectangular to chases)?

Duke

I just watched Dr. No, and I learned a few things:

Evil crime-lords are quite hospitable.

Your Walther can be soaked for hours and still work perfectly.

Jail cells are really quite easy to escape.

Duke
"Baldrick, you wouldn't know a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and
danced naked on a harpsicord singing Subtle Plans Are Here Again!"
--Black Adder

The Holy Grail Of Signature Quotes: http://hgosq.blogspot.com/

Sibling Kephra (Tansy)

Creepy little boys can say nothing for the first 6 or 7 years of their life, and glare alot.  But Mom notices nothing's up until he actually attacks her.  (The Omen)
Insanity takes it's toll; please have correct change.

Swatopluk

A variation to an earlier one:
Taxis always come in pairs. One for the first person to use, the other for the chaser. I suspect a secret masterplan by the taxi companies to maximize profit (drivers are probably schooled to keep the distance constant and change it only to keep the illusion of an actual chase alive).