News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Birthday Rumbles

Started by Aphos, November 02, 2006, 06:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

well, at least yer not 6x

Always look on the briiiiiiiight side of life.

de doo
de doo
de doo de doo de doooo dooot.

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

The Meromorph

Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

hmmm... I wonder if theres any science fiction about a future where people live to be like, 200 or something, and so people who "live fast and die young" expect to die when they're like, 80.

~Qwerty
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

The Meromorph

Not as the major theme, I don't think (not enough meat on it), but it's a recurrent 'side issue' in a lot of stuff. Larry Niven's Ringworld cycle, for example, Greg Varney's Cirrocco Jones trilogy, most of Elizabeth Moon's space oriented sci-fi (not the Paksenarrion trilogy). Quite a lot of Heinlein, Spider Robinson... A lot of those also have some sort of 'rejuvenation' technology, to explain it...
Dances with Motorcycles.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

oh no, I mean wrinkly old men, living life on the edge, must to the disgust of the even wrinklier and older men.

~Qwerty

The Meromorph

Sounds like the faculty of Unseen University to me...  :P
Dances with Motorcycles.

beagle

Quote from: Sibling Qwertyuiopasd on October 12, 2007, 09:18:05 PM
oh no, I mean wrinkly old men, living life on the edge, must to the disgust of the even wrinklier and older men.

~Qwerty

Sounds like the Time Lords in Dr Who criticising their younger (3 or 4 hundred year old) regenerations.  Only William Hartnell actually looked old though.

The angels have the phone box

Aggie

Quote from: Sibling Qwertyuiopasd on October 12, 2007, 09:18:05 PM

~Qwerty

You've met my dad?!
WWDDD?

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

no, but I may have envisioned him.

~Qwerty

Aggie

It's his birthday later this month, too...  and he'll be eligible for senior's discounts at select merchants.

I think he disgusts the younger guys more than the old ones, though...  especially when they're eating his dust when biking.
WWDDD?

Alpaca

I've always been curious - at what birthday is it that one stops looking forward to aging and starts hating it?
There is a pleasure sure to being mad
That only madmen know.
--John Dryden

Sibling Chatty

For me it was 42, but then again, that was a really sucky day.

Cancer diagnosis, can't read the newspaper without reading glasses AND my 42nd birthday. All in one really rotten day...

Attaining presbyopia ususally does it for people...I just got the bonus C diagnosis to make sure I paid attention. :mrgreen:

This sig area under construction.

ivor

I'll be 42 next year.  Gads....  Hopefully I'll go downhill fast.  :mrgreen:

Opsa

Happy Birthday, Quetzy!!!

Please excuse the belatedness.

BTW I'll be fifty next, and I still look forward to getting older. It pays to be immature.

beagle

Yep, you can only be young once, but you can be immature forever.

If Swato would put it in Latin I might make that the family motto.

---- 

Anyway Alpaca, here's the official male timetable. We'll be checking you're on course from time to time.

0-10 
Really, really, want to be older. Quote fractional parts of age, "I'm  5 and 6 months".

11-17
Want to be older so can get booze, sex, motorbike, car (not necessarily in that order).

18-27
Happy where you are, but want the stuff older people have.
Drink too much.

28-38
Start thinking the youth of today are out of control.
Swap Che Guevara T shirt for stock portfolio.
Wonder why your other clothes have shrunk.

39-49
Start liking Radio 2 (not sure of the U.S. equivalent here) and wanting to buy a Volvo.

50-55
Panic. Go off rails, chuck job, buy Porsche, dye hair, rent bimbo.
Drink too much.

56-60
Start dreaming of retirement. Take up golf.

61-70
Become interested in gardening.

71-80
Go on coach tours to stately homes. 
Get excited about which is the best brand of tea cake.

81-90
Give up golf. Keep changing your will to annoy your relatives.
Think youth of today should be shot, except your perfect  grandchildren, photos of whom should be inflicted on everyone.

90+   
Hang around just to outlive your enemies.
The angels have the phone box