News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Quote of the Day

Started by Griffin NoName, October 13, 2010, 09:52:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

***  Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile. ***     William Cullen Bryant
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

They know that it is human nature to take up causes whereby a man may oppress his neighbor, no matter how unjustly. ... Hence they have had no trouble in finding men who would preach the damnability and heresy of the new doctrine from the very pulpit...

[Galileo Galilei, 1615]

To command the professors of astronomy to confute their own observations is to enjoin an impossibility, for it is to command them not to see what they do see, and not to understand what they do understand, and to find what they do not discover.

[Galileo Galilei, The Authority of Scripture in Philosophical Controversies]

One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we've been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We're no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us. it is simply too painful to acknowledge -- even to ourselves -- that we've been so credulous. (So the old bamboozles tend to persist as the new bamboozles rise.)

[Carl Sagan, The Fine Art of Baloney Detection]
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

pieces o nine

JULY 4
is nigh upon us here in the USA; what are your favorite quotes about liberty and/or responsibility?

Quote from: E.M. ForsterSo, Two cheers for Democracy: one because it admits variety and two because it permits criticism.
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

July 1st is here; AFAIK the grand idea on Canada Day is to get pished in the woods....
:toasted:
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

You got visiting Royalty in Ottawa..................
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Opsa

My quote of the day comes courtesy of Pieces' Mower story in Snark and Rant. She describes trying to yank up a fallen riding mower as "we're pushing on the mower like fellaheen during Pyramid Building Season". That cracked me up!

Opsa

I saw this poem posted on the wall yesterday in the Speech/Forensics room at a high school. I had to look it up again today.

In the desert

In the desert
  I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
  Who, squatting upon the ground,
  Held his heart in his hands,
  And ate of it.
  I said: "Is it good, friend?"
  "It is bitter-bitter," he answered;
  "But I like it
  Because it is bitter,
  And because it is my heart."

-- Stephen Crane

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

...my heart may be bitter but it is mine...
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

I like my heart like I like my coffee- hot, black and bitter!

Here are some fun variations on that theme. (Watch out though, many are naughty and/or in questionable taste.)

pieces o nine

Quote from: Eddie Izzard in "Dress to Kill"But normally it does work as long as you keep the chat sexy. "Yes, I like my coffee hot and strong. Like I like my women! Hot and strong... With a spoon in them. Ah, the curve of the spoon, the curve of your breast! I like to run the spoon ( talking with the tongue sticking out ) across my lips..." Then you're pretty close, yeah?
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Opsa

"If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking."
-Buddhist proverb