News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Dream Monastery

Started by Sibling Chatty, November 01, 2006, 07:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pieces o nine

Very cool!

1. How many books can you fit into one of those?    ;)
2. And high-speed internets?  ;)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Aggie

Interwhats?

LOL, you don't want to see what I have in mind for full-time Sibling rooms in any prospective Monastery, which would be based very much on some of the oil camps I've stayed in (although properly constructed and not in some grotty modular sheet-metal unit).  5' x 10', with a single bed and desk built into the wall, small wardrobe for storage... well enough for the purpose of sleeping, provided you've got enough living space around the Monastery.  Paying guests naturally need a little more pampering. ;)
WWDDD?

Opsa

That sounds like Monastery-like accommodations, and a nice way to get away from it all.

There is a monastery not too far from here where anyone can go for a few days of quiet. Not that we'd be quiet!

Darlica

Quote from: Aggie on August 04, 2010, 11:12:42 PM
Advice noted - thanks!  

I'll admit that the 'last year's straw' thing worried me in terms of mould, and I did cast an eye to the lack of snow-worthiness (which could be a concern inland, but probably not on the coast).  I'm realistically thinking more along the lines of summer guesthouses than year-round residences, actually.  

Straw is fine, you just need to learn how to treat it properly, but one needs to know that about the chosen building material no matter what it is made of.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

ivor

I vote Darlica for construction project supervisor!

Darlica

:D

I'm not sure that would be wise...

For starters I'm on the wrong continent.

Then, I'm a sucker for redundancy so I usually chose thicker/tougher materials and constructions than actually needed so it's likely to end up rather expensive if I'm left to do things my way... :) 

I blame the choice of materials on my maternal grandpa who was a carpenter and liked whatever he built to last... and who taught me most of what I know about building materials and construction.
    ;D
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

Aggie

Not a bad thing...  provided we can get our hands on the natural resources. 

Bamboo, I fear, is not a very durable building material, but logs are, and we have lots of 'em here, potentially.  Depends if the land's been logged or not.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Don't underestimate bamboo, provided it is handled expertly.
But it is of course less squid-safe.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

:stupid:
Total agreement, have you seen bamboo kitchen chopping boards? As to how economical is to process it to reach that kind of quality I have no clue.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

The biggest problem that I've heard of is susceptibility to rotting in moist environments.  There are a few treatments that can help, but nothing that I've run across yet that would make it suitable for roofing, for example.  Interior and protected-exterior applications should be fine, but there seem to be limitations as a long-term primary construction material. I'd want main support beams to be made from timber, as far as I can tell. Supposedly it's vulnerable to insects and fungi as well, but perhaps not in a non-native (North American temperate forest) climate.

It's good strong stuff with a high tensile strength, otherwise, provided it's old enough (3 - 7 years) and seasoned correctly. I'm also going to poke around a little at whether it's possible to artificially petrify the stuff, given that the natural silica content is quite high (perhaps it'd work better than wood, which is a dream of mine).
WWDDD?

Griffin NoName

Bags I don't dig out the moat.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

I vote Grif to dig the moat... :mrgreen:

Swatopluk

If we chose Norway, the fjord would be our moat. And we would not need a fourth wall since we would have the mountains at our back.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Griffin NoName

Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

ivor

Where's the shovel.... *sigh* :mrgreen: