News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

Aussies ban death penalty

Started by Bluenose, March 18, 2010, 01:29:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griffin NoName

It's our sentencing that seems loopy at present. I can't understand why they don't serve the length of time given by the Judge. And life should always mean life.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

Because imprisionment is a costly proposition?

On that front I believe that the legal structures aren't ideal to manage the problem; a law says that Y crime can be punished with X to Z amount of years plus (or less) leniency for good behavior or plea bargain. How exactly, say, a serial rapist can plea bargain is beyond common sense but common nonetheless. What should be assessed is the likelihood of reincidence when determining the sentence, regardless of any other extraneous circumstances.
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Aggie

The UK sounds like Canada in that the rules are such that one rarely actually serves the full length of the sentence, and keeping someone locked up for more than 15 years is very difficult if not completely impossible (here, anyways).  OTOH, I don't think we have the prison crowding issues of either of U. ;)

We are utterly ineffective at dealing with repeat offenders here, especially for "lesser" crimes like drunk driving.  I'm trying to find the name of the guy out east who's been convicted 99 times for drunk driving (and driving without a licence for most of 'em) and is still free.
WWDDD?

Swatopluk

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on March 20, 2010, 04:58:36 PM
A serial rapist can be locked to the end of time, a murderous demagogue can get out at any moment the political wind changes.

What about the third option: Declaring him (usually a he, although there are of course Malkin and Coulter) outlaw.
Best in the traditional way with ritual formulas. ;)
A favorite way to deal with the main culprits of the Chain-Eye/Shrub administartion would be to dress them in bright orange jumpsuits and drop them in Fallujah (after announcing to the inhabitants that they could do what they want with them). If they survive for 48 hours, it is to be considered a divine judgement of innocence.
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling DavidH

Quote from: ZonoA serial rapist can be locked to the end of time, a murderous demagogue can get out at any moment the political wind changes.
Get out?  In most cases, a good start would be to get 'em in!  Bush and Blair are still out there, rich and happy.