News:

The Toadfish Monastery is at https://solvussolutions.co.uk/toadfishmonastery

Why not pay us a visit? All returning Siblings will be given a warm welcome.

Main Menu

What are you reading?

Started by Sibling Zono (anon1mat0), October 25, 2006, 05:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatopluk

Target Tirpitz (Patrick Bishop)
Der verstrahlte Westernheld (the irradiated cowboy movie hero)(Rudolph Herzog)
Knurrhähne sind eßbar aber empfehlen würde ich das nicht unbedingt.
The aspitriglos is edible though I do not actually recommend it.

Sibling Qwertyuiopasd

Recently finished Charles Shiro Inouye's Evanescence and Form. Very good, thorough, yet accessible introduction to Japanese culture, actually read for a philosophy course. References a lot of things, sometimes without explanation apparently... I only noticed when he started quickly making comparison between Miyazaki's Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Otomo's Akira, mentioning Akira and characters from it with no explanation of preparation. I only caught it 'cause I've seen the film so I understood what he was talking about. Anyway... good read. Currently delving into much older Japanese mythology, though I know a fair bit of it already...
Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one them, it gets up and kills. The poeple it kills get up and kill!

http://qwertysvapourtrail.blogspot.com/

Swatopluk

If you are digging there, could you also look, whether it is an established trope there that an old woman sitting at a spinning wheel is actually a demon (or at least imbued with magical powers).
I have seen that is several Japanese movies (both live action and anime), so I guess it must be traditional. Otherwise they would have all to have nicked it from Kurosawa's Throne of Blood

Opsa

Gotta love the Japanese storytelling.

I'm reading 275 Acting Games Connected by Gavin Levy in preparation for my next theater project.

Swatopluk

I have actually my own saga in front of me to check where exactlythe gaps still to be filled are.

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

I'm nearly done with book two, of Denis Leary of the RCN (Royal Cinnibar Navy-- a space opera series by David Drake).

Book one was With The Lightnings.
Book two is Lt Leary, Commanding.

I already have book three, and there are several more in the series.  What is nice, is I can get these in ePub form, to use the Cool Reader (android) app to read them, my preferred method these days.

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Sibling Zono (anon1mat0)

I finished The Casual Vacancy from J. K. Rowling. Interesting reading her in a absolutely-not-for-children book. She has a nice social conscience and she definitively is a good writer (if there were any doubts).
Sibling Zono(trichia Capensis) aka anon1mat0 aka Nicolás.

PPPP: Politicians are Parasitic, Predatory and Perverse.

Opsa

The Cherokee Herbal by J. T. Garrett.

I've always had an interest in ancient plant medicines. I was trying to find a book about this maybe five years ago and couldn't locate one. Then this one shows up at the local library book sale for 25 cents. Hey!

Darlica

I'm rereading "Declare" by Tim Powers.
"Kafka was a social realist" -Lindorm out of context

"You think education is expensive, try ignorance" -Anonymous

pieces o nine

It was Match Fo(u)rth, aka Grammar Day today.

The winning Haiku was;
Quote from: Arika OkrentI am an error
And I will reveal myself
After you press send

*ahem* ...notice the punctuation...    :D
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677

Griffin NoName

Quote from: Sibling Zono (anon1mat0) on February 22, 2013, 03:09:32 PM
I finished The Casual Vacancy from J. K. Rowling. Interesting reading her in a absolutely-not-for-children book. She has a nice social conscience and she definitively is a good writer (if there were any doubts).

Interesting. I recently finished it too. It took me for ever to read. I couldn't get into it at all, until p.400 odd when I gained a faint interest as things started to take off shortly before the end of the book. SPOILER...........Bit of a revenge tragedy, what with everyone dyimg at the end. I found it dull. I couldn't remember who any of the characters were from page to page. Damning with faint praise. Sorry to disagree :)

Now reading Biopsychosocial Medicine ~ Peter White  (am evil psychiatrist- oh woops is that libellous?) - basically crap about non-dualism body-mind where the mind is responsible for making us all ill, never mind scientists proving bugs and viruses do that....... of course subtext is ME/CFS is a disease invented by lazy layabouts who want to live on benefits and never do a day's work - background reading for my dissertation. Every page makes me crosser. Not a healthy book to read.
Psychic Hotline Host

One approaches the journey's end. But the end is a goal, not a catastrophe. George Sand

Swatopluk

Guy Deutscher - Through the language glass

Bob in a quantum-state-of-faith

Finished book 4, The Way to Glory of Denis Leary of the RCN, now on to book 5, Some Golden Harbor

Am enjoying the series immensely-- I always enjoy books about loyalty to one's peers/fellow-adventurers.  Both of the main characters in this series are loyal to their peeps to a fault; a trait I rather admire, I think.  The loyalty is returned, naturally.  

:)
Sometimes, the real journey can only be taken by making a mistake.

my webpage-- alas, Cox deleted it--dead link... oh well ::)

Swatopluk

Simon Sheridan - Keeping the British End Up

pieces o nine

Thank god   [c wot i did thar!]   I was not elected pope!

Common Illnesses at the Vatican.   
QuoteStigmataberculosis
A bad case of the Antichrists
Vaticancer
St. Francis of Alopecia
Exorcysts
Blasphemeasles
Immaculate consumption
Hymnorrhoids
Ave Malaria

There's always off-beat comedy at this blog. I see the link to Comic Sans is still in the Top favorites list.  :)
"If you are not feeling well, if you have not slept, chocolate will revive you. But you have no chocolate! I think of that again and again! My dear, how will you ever manage?"
--Marquise de Sevigne, February 11, 1677